Anglian Windows

Not 100% DIY but maybe someone knows how to deal with it yourself.......politely

I have just had an Anglian Windows salesman cold calling at my house.

First he asks if I want a conservatory. I say no. Cant afford it. Not getting anything at the money.

Then he tells me my windows ( all of which are double glazed by the way) are rubbish, do not have thick enough panels and need replacing ( he looked round my house before I saw him did he?). I told him I was not replacing anything.

He told me my house was in disrepair ( tell me about it? I know and so do most of you here) and I needed new guttering fascias and widows.

I told him I could not have these things, we were not considering any large outlay of monies in the near future. We could not afford it.

Still he carried on telling me how my house was rubbish ..... so I said look, my husband is a tight fisted miser who will not pay out for anything . He wants the money in the bank , now will you go?

He still carried on - so you agree with me the house needs repairing ...... well what's it matter what I think? Doesn't he understand No?

He left . But why cant these people take no for an answer first time?

It just upsets me so much. How do you deal with this sort of thing?

Reply to
sweetheart

Say 'No' once, then close the door.

I've now got a laminated notice on the door that's working quite well: JW's stood and read it the other day and then went on their way without bothering me....

'We?re happy with our energy supplier and also with our God We don?t buy at the door and we have plenty of charity sacks Thank you for not disturbing us!'

Simple. When you say "No" shut the door. Works 99% of the time. Salesmen are trained that while the person is still in front of them listening politely that there is chance of talking them into a sale.

So forget politely waiting for him to stop talking - he won't - he will continue until the door is closed or you invite him in or agree to buy something.

Reply to
David in Normandy

As soon as he starts talking, you just say, 'it's not my house, I'm renting' and watch him walk away, or, if you are feeling in a michevious mood, agree to everything he's offering and then ask, 'will the council be paying for all this?, the house belongs to them'

Reply to
Phil L

Tell them the house is rented. They can't get away soon enough.

Reply to
Huge

wibbled on Thursday 08 July 2010 16:58

You tell him that he's an ugly bastard but you'll at least be able to fix your house eventually.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thank goodness you're a salesman, I was expecting the baliffs .

Reply to
dom

polite but scowled "no thanks" if they persist wish them well with their job hunting and tell em to do one? however I'm fairly hefty so opp. sex/small men may wish to omit the latter....

CHeers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

(a) Tell him the windows were installed by Anglian Windows

(b) Tell him to come back when husband is in

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Correction

(b) Tell him to come back when the husband is out of bed.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ask him to leave, and if he refuses, call the police.

Take his number and call his firm.

Report them to the trading standards officer.

I dont even let them get through the door. I just say 'NO!' as son as they open their mouths.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I broke out in a cold sweat there, wondering whether I really have started doing door-to-door! :-)

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Agreed. You just say "no" first of all, then "no, really not interested...thanks...bye", all in one swift sentence at the same time as closing the door.

Reply to
John Whitworth

I have a "Cold callers please don't ring" notice on the front door. I draw it to their attention and explain that it is to save us both time. Had to tell one chap what cold calling was.

A common response is "But I'm not selling" to which I respond "That's fine because I'm not buying. Good day."

I'm quite looking forward to the next time one of the big 6 energy suppliers calls, as they are supposed to have instructed their sales force to respect such notices.

Another angle is to tell them, quite simply (and presumably, honestly), that you never do business with companies that approach you.

Occasionally there is the seller of "lucky heather" I really have to bite my tongue to stop myself remarking "It's not doing you much good is it?"

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Chris J Dixon

TBH I have more problem with charity fundraisers in the street. I am jobseeking and the latest ad for those jobs suggested you will need to be a bit cheeky. Trouble is some of them don't know the difference between cheeky and assault.

Reply to
Invisible Man

If a cold caller comes out with "I'm not selling" I normally laugh. How can their employer make any money to pay their wages if they aren't selling?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The former is quick and effective, the latter nice if you have nothing better to do for an houir or three. Keeps him of other peoples back as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Google back for my tales of Anglian Windows and disgraceful installation and customer "service". I wouldn't poke 'em the end of your barge pole covered in dog shit, they would contaminate the dog shit.

NOOOO!! Sales bloke will immediately ask when hubby will be back and when would it be convenient to return.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

having. Ergo, he is an utter arse. Doesn't he realise that's what keeps spammers in business?

Reply to
Huge