Permanently closing an isolating valve

I'm planning to remove a bath tub that's no longer required. The hot and cold water supply pipes both have 15mm isolating valves, so it's easy to turn the water off, but I'd like to permanently close the valves as I assume they are only really meant to be turned off temporarily.

Is there some sort of end cap or blanking plate that can be fitted to an isolating valve to permanently close it? I know I could fit a short length of pipe with an end cap, but I wonder if there's a way of blanking off the valve itself.

I know I should really remove the pipes, and I plan to do so eventually, but you know how things like that end up. I don't want to rely on just an isolating valve for a year or so before I get round to doing it properly.

Reply to
Caecilius

Caecilius wibbled on Thursday 08 July 2010 14:10

Yes. There's a brass disc with tapered sides which goes under a normal conex nut and seats in a standard compression fitting. That's very permanent but can be removed if required. A smear of jointing compound is recommended. B&Q have them usually in packs of 2.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Use a compression blanking disc:

dent

> dan. I just turn up a short length of brass to 15mm diameter and fit that in with a new compression olive. Useful to keep a couple in the plumbing fittings box.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:10:51 +0100 someone who may be Caecilius wrote this:-

The valves have compression fittings?

If they do then something like

may be a good investment. Also remove the operating handle, if there is one.

Reply to
David Hansen

I've never seen one that doiesn't have compression fittings:

If they do then something like

Reply to
Phil L

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:47:06 +0100 someone who may be "Phil L" wrote this:-

Neither have I, but they do exist

and

for example.

Reply to
David Hansen

Well then you obviously didn't read the page you referenced - which has several Speedfit examples on it!

Reply to
Roger Mills

And if you are using Speedfit or Cupro, you just whip it off and slip an end blank on in any case.

Spamlet