Isolating Valve replacement handles?

Hello all,

my washing machine and dishwasher are plumbed in with isolating valves/taps similar to these in the Screwfix catalogue.

?ts=48590&id=18071Now the instructions with the W/M and D/W say to turn off the water after use - which I do - and the handle on the D/W valve is now broken. It was secured by a small screw to the valve body.

The question is, can I get more substantial handles than the somewhat brittle plastic ones? The obvious source is to buy another valve, throw away the valve body and use the handle - but this offends my sensibilities - I would like to get just the handle itself if possible. Screwfix don't seem to do them.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards

Sid

Reply to
S. Endon-Lee

My God! I reckon you must be just about the only person that does...

If you insist on continuing to turn them off, then your best bet is to buy a pair of bull bore ball valves from SF. These have nice big steel handles which won't break off, and will survive a lot more onn/off operations than the little valves you have.

Don't turn them off after use?

Reply to
Grunff

Plumbers merchants normally have the chrome heads separate for these valves, so it might be worth a visit to your local one. I know someone told me they got a set from B&Q, but I don't know if they still do them.

Reply to
BigWallop

They only tell you do do this so that you won't sue them when it floods. They probably tell you not to leave the machine unattended too.

I have never actually heard of anyone following either piece of advice. I have never seen anyone operate these valves unless intending to disconnect the machine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

easier tp replace valve get quarter turn valve these are very good

Reply to
Keithc666767117

Thanks BigWallop.

I hope 'Plumb Center' establishments qualify as plumbers merchants, and aren't just 'sheds' in disguise.

Thanks to others for suggestions on using quarter-turn full-bore valves - I'd love to, but I have restricted space, and I'm not confident in my ability to install them.

As for turning the water on and off, I'm not keen on having a flood in my flat, and I take the view that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A fiend of mine just fractured his water supply pipe and flooded his garage and neighbour's garden to the depth of 10 inches (and his neighbour's garden is BIG) - I've no wish to replicate that in my small but bijou flat.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Regards,

Sid

Reply to