Yesterday I turned on my sprinkler system for the first time to test
it out. This morning I noticed one of my pop up heads was oozing out
water. When I checked the sprinkler valve, I could hear water going
through it. I shut off the main and the water stopped running, so
obviously the valve is not closing. I believe the valve is made by
KIT ? Any ideas where to start? I can take off the solenoid valve and
I see what looks like a plunger with a spring, but not sure what the
problem could be.
How old are the valves? Did you have a freeze this past winter?
The rubber diaphragm(sp) becomes weak over time and water leaks into
the zone. You should be able to find a kit to rebuild the valve or
just replace it.
..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the
And here I thought you said KIT...If it's made by HIT, this indicates
what you need to do. Get a well balanced hammer...
More seriously, you've got to follow Oren's advice. Check
irrigation/ pool suppliers if the big box/ hardware place can't help
Mine did the same thing a couple of times. Once, all I had to do was
unscrew the part with the wire on it, and run some water through it, and it
had a piece of crud in it that flushed out. Another time, disassembly and
reassembly solved the problem. The other time, there was a hole/crack in
the diaphragm. So, I would try unscrewing the actuator first. If that
don't work, disassemble, examine and reassemble IF the parts look good. If
you got a crack in the diaphragm, TAKE THE PARTS WITH YOU and go buy a
rebuild kit or two. Match the parts you have to what's in the package.
Handy to have a rebuild kit around, even if you find upon disassembly that
it just had crud in it.
Oh, yeah. Remember to turn your water off first. Once you have unscrewed
the actuator or disassembled the whole valve, turn your water on JUST A
LITTLE to let any trapped crud flow out. Then either reassemble or install
They ain't rocket surgery, and once you've done one of them, you'll do the
next ones a lot faster and be able to diagnose problems.
Sometimes, you can just unscrew that actuator valve, (remember, you turned
off the water, right?) run a little water through it, screw the actuator
back on, and get lucky if it's just a piece of crud. WATCH OUT, it's easy
to overtighten those screws in that PVC body and strip them.
I took off the solenoid and flushed it out, but that did not work. So
I took apart the whole valve by removing the 8 screws. I cleaned the
parts inside and flushed out the valve, and put everything back. So
far its good.
If it does happen again, I hope to get a repair kit since replacing
the entire valve would be a pain being that I would have to
disassemble a lot of parts.
It could just have a small stone or plastic in the pipe. Open and
close the valve a few times and see if it will flush out.
When a new system comes on line, there are always curlie Q pieces of
plastic from the cutting process. We have t flush them out of our
fire engine all the time.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.