Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?

Maybe I've invented something. I was thinking about those washing machine hose connectors that you clamp round the copper inlet pipe, tighten the screw and a sharp-edged pin forces a hole in the pipe.
Then while I was pondering the need for a isolating valve under the kitchen sink, I thought, now wouldn't it be wonderful to have some kind of similar gadget that you just position around the pipe, tighten one or more screws and hey presto, an instant gate valve! You could install one without even turning the water off.
MM

Big hammer and lump of iron.
On 24/07/2012 17:10, MM wrote:

And you open it how?
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:10:23 +0100, newshound

Turn the wheel to the left.
MM
Some one has beaten you to it! See http://www.easyfitisolator.co.uk /

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:19:09 +0100, "John Storey"
Well, I'll be blowed!!! Looks fantastic. But the web page says "WRAS APPROVED MAY 2012" which is very recent, so I don't know how many have actually been tried and tested so far. Worth a closer look, though. I hate having to turn off the water, cut the pipe to the right length, fit the olives etc and hope for the best. A right PITA.
MM
On 24/07/2012 18:19, John Storey wrote:

You know, that's brilliant! At 30, it's not even expensive - not much more than the cost of a freezing kit and new stop cock. I have had several cases where mains isolator valves are totally seized and in awkward positions to get at. This is such a simple solution.
You can also use it ion situations where freezing won't work at all, because the water is flowing.
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:19:09 +0100, "John Storey"
Brilliant.
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 23:08:59 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

I received an email "thank-you" and further explanation from the manufacturer after I had supplied positive feedback about their new product. Apparently they have been working for some years on numerous designs and testing, the idea having originally been thought of during WW2. Let's hope some plumbers start using it and find success with it, because this is potentially a great British product that could be used anywhere in the world. The potential market is absolutely huge.
MM

Did they say how many times you can turn it off/on before it starts to let water through? I assume that you can't just use it as an ordinary tap?

No. Put it this way, I have three isolator valves, three gate valves and the main water supply shut-off under the sink. The other day I closed the latter for the first time since moving in eight years ago.
The other valves have been opened and closed only a couple or three times, e.g. to replace toilet cistern seals. I wouldn't envisage closing the EasyFit except on very rare occasions.
But, given the ease with which they are apparently fitted, some people might get carried away and use them as general taps. I've found even the inline isolators with the screw head can leak a bit, as someone pointed out in the thread. It happened to me on the downstairs lav when I opened the valve after completing the work, but it only leaked a tiny bit when I was pressing the screwdriver into the screw slot. As soon as I removed the screwdriver the trickle stopped. I've monitored the floor for puddles ever since, but never seen a trace.
MM