Difference between stopcock and gate valve

I have installed a garden tap connected to the mains cold water supply.
I have used a good quality Peggler 15mm gate valve. However, the ta leaks a bit even when the valve is fully shut.
Is it that I should have installed a stopcock instead of a gate valve or is it that the gate valve is deffective?
I know that stopcoks have an arrow to install them in the righ direction, the gate valve did not have.
As a general question, what is the difference between stopcocks an gate valves. Is it that the stopcock withstands higher preassure?
Thanks,
Antoni
-- asalcedo

Yes, or a full-bore 1/4 turn isolation valve.

Yes. Gate valves are rather more for reducing flow rate. They used to be used as isolation values on low pressure supplies because of lack of any flow restriction when fully open, but full-bore 1/4 turn isolation valves have taken over for both low and high pressure now.
--
Andrew Gabriel

asalcedo Wrote:

A gate vale is usually used where full flow is required.Its no normally used for shutting off water at mains pressure. I would remove the gate valve and fit a stoptap or a isolatin valve.This will ensure a positive shut off
-- gasgard
gasgard Wrote:

Thank you for your helpful replies.
Is it also ok if I substitute the gate valve for a ball valve, like
http://tinyurl.com/78hka
Thanks,
Antoni
-- asalcedo
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:04:33 +0100, asalcedo

Yes, it's fine.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl