Timber profiles for window frames

A friend has moved into a house which needs lots of attention to the timber windows (1920's), and he would like to retain the originals rather than replacing. I imagine some will need replacement timber members.

I didn't make a note of the timber profiles (I'll look next time I'm there), but is it easy to buy timber already profiled to make frames (the openers, at least)? Are they reasonably standard, or all different?

A google search is difficult to separate out thousands of replacement wooden windows, although there was one place in Manchester which kept coming up which does some timber profiles. Somewhere in or around London would be good if anyone knows of a stockist.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In Edinburgh, where most old houses have sash and case windows, virtually every moulding is available or easily made - big market here.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Any decent timber merchant should stock the typical joinery profiles for that particular area.

Reply to
stuart noble