Are window frames included in Outside decoration

I am decorating the outside of my house in London. Walls, windows, doors etc.

The decorator is not painting the areas covered by the wooden window and door frames.

To clarify, these areas are the rectangular strips around the wooden frames of doors and windows that are not seen when the doors and windows are shut.

These areas are of the same colour as the outside paint and should be painted with the same paint.

Are they not supposed to paint them as well? Is there a standard understanding?

An interior decoration, done earlier, did not treat those areas either, and it would be very messy to just do those strips at a later stage.

Reply to
asalcedo

Well assuming that you have engaged this decorator yourself, surely this is down to your own negotiation (and at the appropriate cost)

But the reason why an outside decorator will be used to this area not being included in his quote is because when he works on "multiply owned" properties the standard contract will be not to do them, as to do so requires each householder to arrange to open their doors/windows on the due date and organising that is normally impossible.

tim

Reply to
tim....

*NOTE* the following appplies to external decoration only, procedures will differ for internal decoration on a room-by-room basis.

If the windows/doors open outwards, then the decorator should paint the exposed rebates as part of the external decorating operation, and include the cost of that in his estimate/quotation for the work.

If the doors/windows [1] open inwards, then only the exposed external timber is painted and the rebates are left untouched.

Remember though, that to paint rebates, windows and doors must be left open for this to take place - but there are some 'lazy' decorators who will gladly paint these when they are closed with the obvious effect...

[1] Most external house doors open inwards - but shed doors can open both ways and usually the door and frames are then painted on 'all' exposed surfaces (external and internal) including outhouse winddwos.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Hello Cash,

Thank you for your quite helpful insight.

Is this part of any written code of conduct or regulation that I can show to my decorator?

All my windows open outwards. And the rebates are painted the same colour as the outside parts.

Most of my doors open inwards but one does open outwards as well.

Thanks,

Ant> asalcedo wrote:-

Reply to
asalcedo

In message , asalcedo writes

No, I don't imagine so, remember, thee are no regulations governing decorating - anyone can call themselves a decorator, though they maybe members of a trade body.

But it's accepted practice (have a look in any sort of DIY manual etc., you will see such a description). It's certainly what I would expect if I engaged a decorator.

Frankly, anyone who just painted over the closed windows I would consider a cowboy.

I think you need to speak to the decorator and tell him what you expected done.

Was there a written quotation or was this verbal?

IIME you do need to clarify exactly what is being done and how on a job., to save confusion later. Some will take a mile given a inch, in other occasion there can just be differing expectations between the tradesman and the customer over what is to be done.

Reply to
chris French

Reply to
Cash

Thank you Cash.

Using the inputs here I will try to convince the decorator to do it.

Regards,

Antonio

Cash;2535779 Wrote:

Reply to
asalcedo

I have just had the upstairs windows done, and they were done with the windows closed even though I asked when did he want them opened. When the boss came back to pick up the painter, the painter was finishing, and I pointed out that the rebates had not been done. He immediately said they should have been and they then both got on and completed the job properly.

John

Reply to
JohnW

Yes, in the end they did paint the rebates, without problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
asalcedo