Pitting on alum window frames?

For a bunch of floor to ceiling windows, I have noticed extreme pitting all over their exterior aluminum frames, far deeper than the anodized layer. I think new window installation would cost a fortune due to not fitting in the elevator, so I wonder where that leaves us.

I think the root cause is dirt and salt buildup that isn't flushed due an overhang that protects from rain but not humidity (and not enough cleaning). So say these are cleaned more regularly - will they structurally hold up for many more years? Is there some kind of treatment that would help clean, protect, or disguise?

And if needing replacement, would the whole gigantic windows have to be replaced, or can you somehow stabilize the glass and unscrew the frame parts for replacement? The windows/sliding doors are on a high rise balcony, and function is more of a concern than looks. thanks

Reply to
dumbstruck

How old are the windows? (ie how long have they been corroding?) How thick is the corroded piece? How deep (actual measurement) are the pits? Is the material pitted through in any places?

btw anodizing is typically less than .001" thick

How extensive is the pitting? How easy to clean the pitted pieces? Can stepped up maintenance be performed?

Answer these questions and you can at least estimate the remaining life.

Some photos would be helpful.

Does the building have any kind of window washing rig?

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Actually the problem could be just the opposite...

The infrequent cleaning with the wrong kind of cleaner could be what is causing your aluminum window frames to pit because unlike the rest of the building yours are protected from the rinsing action of rainfall...

Before you launch into all sorts of paranoid planning, find out what your building's window cleaners use to clean the glass... You might be surprised that they aren't using the same sort of Windex you use for the inside...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Window frames about 35 years old. The pits are about 1/8 inch; not nearly thru. I can access outside of windows and ready to treat per your instructions, thanks. Pits can be an inch to several inches apart.

Reply to
dumbstruck