LOST WINDOW KEY

HI,was wondering if someone might help.The key for my kitchen window has disappeared and to get a locksmith out will cost =A3120 JUST for the call out. Is there a way to get it open??? As its only a couple of screws holding the handle in place I would be able to change it myself.......Its just ...how do I get it open to begin with????/ Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you

Reply to
spider1967

Without more details I can only suggest the following:

1) If there are houses around you built with the same windows- one of their window keys might fit.

2) If you can identify the make of the windows, the manufacturer might be able to help with a key.

3) If the windows have external hinge pins, you may be able to remove them and hence the window.

4) If you can remember what the key looked like, you may be able to pick the lock with a paperclip and a lot of patience. Window locks don't tend to be very complicated.

5) It may be possible to just drill a tiny hole in the right place and use it to access the lock mechanism enough to unlock it. That is the sort of thing a *good* locksmith would know.

6)Unglaze the window and drill out the lock bolt. Fill the drill hole with wood filler, replace the glazed unit and it won't be noticeable.

etc, etc.

But what to do depends very much on the window itself (wood/plastic, single/multi point lock, exterior/hidden hinge pins, etc.)

Basically, a *good* locksmith should be able to open it in hardly any time at all, leaving no marks and making you a replacement key. A poor locksmith will take hours, ruin the finish and leave you needing a new window..I know which one I would rather give the moeny to.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Hi Sue,thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.I took your advice and went next door,borrowed their key and hey presto........one open window !!!! Thank you very much you just saved me a lot of cash. Thanks again

Reply to
spider1967

Most of those "keys" are a common item usually found in the "sheds" like B&Q etc. It will probably be a splined rod with a plastic handle for about a quid.

Reply to
JimP