Key Safe

Can anyone offer to help me with a Master Lock Keysafe - the type with 4 combination discs 0 - 9.

Between a neighbour and my own fiddling we have lost the combination. There is no key in the box. I have prized the box off the wall to take in indoors for further attempts.

YouTube suggested some trick with a paperclip - but it was to vague to be of use.

If anyone can help then don't risk posting the instructions - advice me on this site and I will post my e-mail address.

Reply to
John

I presume you set the combination and pull that little lever down to open it?

When it is not on the open combination does the lever move at all?

Reply to
ericp

There are only 10,000 combinations. It doesn't take *that* long to work through all of them until you find the right one.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It is fixed - I don't know why but the number we had been trying has suddenly worked. Something must have been sticking.

Reply to
John

Good. :)

Reply to
ericp

Now its working sounds like maybe a little oil to lubricate might be in order.

Reply to
SS

Not oil. Powdered graphite or dry ptfe lubricant.

_Never_ use oil on locks of this type.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It had been sprayed with WD40 (not an oil!!!) should I try and rinse it our?

Reply to
John

WD40 is oil diluted with thinners. One application isn't a disaster, but don't keep doing it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Nothing wrong with WD40 on locks - Yale actually reccommend it by name.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman