Are steel security cables choppable?

I've had a generator stolen by someone with a large felling axe who bust the padlock.

I can get a bigger padlock, but then they would probably go for the chain/steel cable instead.

A cable (eg Master Lock 15mm braided steel cable) would be much easier to use than a chain - but are they any good, or will a serious axe (against a concrete floor) or hacksaw attack just chop through them? Has anyone any experience?

Thanks Jilly

Reply to
Jilly

Have a look at motorcycle security chains/cables (talk to the people in a motorcycle shop about what's good).

However, with a generator, there's probably a steel frame that can be sawn more easily than the better security chains/cables.

Also look at motion-sensors/lights/sirens triggered if someone goes

*near* the generator.

BTW how do you know they used an axe on the lock? Video?

Reply to
dom

Any device used to secure property can be overcome. I've had 200Kg generators stolen from locked sheds in which the generator was padlocked using cable to an eyebolt in the floor. The thieves found it easier to saw through the eye bolt than the cable.

No matter what you do, someone will find a way around it. All you can hope to do is delay them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Jilly laid this down on his screen :

Any braided wire cable is difficult to saw through, even given plenty of time, but an angle grinder (battery version) will make short work of it. The best way is to either make the cable and padlock inaccessible, or find some other way to secure it. Could you perhaps set a substantial part of the generator frame locked below ground level, in concrete, with a lock which is inaccessible to tools.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

braided cables last less time than these chains aginst bolt cutters;

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

You're so right. My dad used to say that the only thing a lock does is to keep honest people that way.

Reply to
John Williamson

It was on the door - there are large slashes in the wood, and grooves dented into the top of the brass body. It was a fairly substantial (50mm Abus) padlock. Thank goodness it broke without them demolishing the door as well.

Reply to
Jilly

Jilly gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's a battle of wits, an arms race - against a scrote whose whole raison d'etre is nicking anything that they can. You can never win. You can only persuade them to try something easier.

Reply to
Adrian

Smoke bombs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

A cordless angle grinder will go through anything you can get at a reasonable price. Cheap bolt cutters will go through most of the stuff and bolt cutters are easy to steal in the first place. They can always cut the generators frame to get the lock off.

Reply to
dennis

It'll get angle-grinded anyway, so nothing's truly secure. Scribing some security-marks into various parts and slapping a prominent sign on it to say that you've done so might not be a bad idea.

Maybe look into camera setups, too - things seem to be getting quite cheap these days in that area (heck, it seems like you can get a trail camera with night-vision and a year of battery life for less than a hundred quid now).

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Read some bike mags or motorbike mags for reviews of kit.

One of the easiest ways to break such a security device is to hammer on the padlock - so when you lock up, make sure that the chain can't be re-arranged so that the padlock is placed on the ground where it's easy to hit.

Cables aren't really much use - always far too easy to cut. Chains are what you need. You also need a good chain: welded links, good alloy, probably trapezoidal section rod rather than round.

As to a padlock, then the Abus Diskus is still one of the best. The shackle (weakest point) is short, straight(ish) and well guarded.

Portable angle grinders now make it quite difficult to chain something up in a secure way, unless the noise would be noticed. Bolt cutters are no longer the worst enemy.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes but it's embarrassing selling it on afterwards, maybe!

Reply to
Jilly

A useful alternative to eyebolts is often to have a bit extra chain length, peg the chain with a bit of horizontal rebar aboout 18" below ground level and concrete over.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So Abus are better than Master Lock? Lots of people seem to be picking them on Youtube.

I'm thinking about a small version of the T34 tank - welded box, inaccessible padlock, half full of concrete and bolted into bedrock with humungous rock bolts.

Unfortunately the neighbours are a mile away.

Reply to
Jilly

a trail

Sounds the business - where from? Does it have a motion sensor?

Reply to
Jilly

The crooks that buy the stuff don't care. They probably ordered a welder at the same pub.

Reply to
dennis

I guess this is waht is meant a Google "hawke prostalk nature camera". Various versions are available but I can't find a makers site.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

MMMMMMMMM!!!!! earlier this year I fitted a 4 channel CCTV DVR into a locked room within a locked 40' shipping container and 4 cameras to keep an eye on some expensive items outside the container. Just before Christmas I got a call to say that the DVR and cameras had been stolen overnight, not to mention some of the expensive items.

If they want it they will find a way.

Reply to
Bill

You might like the Guard Cam