Creaky steps

For years now we have suffered creak wooden floorboards on the steps

They have been screwed in once or twice but keep returning

I want to investigate getting a carpenter out and having the staircase either 'relaid' or having it beefed up somewhat

Anyone have any idea how olong this might take?

Stairs are straight up (no bends) and consist of the usual number of household steps

I guess the wood is just worn out........?

Reply to
mo

IME the usual reason is that the wood dries out and gaps appear between the risers (uprights) and the steps. Not usually wearing out. This allows movement and creaking. Can you get under the stairs to see the bare wood? If so you'll be able to see where there are gaps and movement. Get someone to walk up and down and watch. If there are wedges these can be glued with PVA white glue and tapped in tighter. A few nails, or preferably screws, added in appropriate places can also help. Its really just a question of looking and using common-sense.

If you can't get under then you'll have to take up any carpet and do similar from above. Not so easy though.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

No way is it likely that the wood's worn out. It should last for centuries.

No need for the joiner either. But you MUST get the underside of the treads exposed. Tighten any wedges that are there already. hammer in and glue new wedges between the lower face of the treads and the housing cut in the string. Install glue blocks between treads and risers.

Reply to
John MacLeod

John MacLeod wrote in news:60ea9cc5-6c27- snipped-for-privacy@g26g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

I suspect the staircase was done on the cheap - it was AWAYS felt flimsy!

I have partal acess to the underside so will check it out.

Reply to
mo

Not being flippant but join the club - and I'm a very old carpenter. :-(

If they have been screwed down through the top front of the tread and into the riser it's unlikely to be a permanent fix for a number of reasons.

If you want to attempt another method (with minimal structural disturbance) you could try 'skew-screwing' with long, stout counter sunk screws, down through the tops of the treads and into the stair strings either side.

This would have the effect of 'pulling' the treads tighter against the wedges - and then fill in the counter sinks with pellets or patent fillers and finish off ready for decoration.

But be aware that if the treads are badly split and really need replacing, this will not work unless you drive a screw through each separate piece.

You don't have a staircase "relaid". It would be easier and cheaper to fit a new one.

As for "beefing it up", that's possible and practicable - providing you remove any understairs soffit to gain access to the backs of the treads, risers and wedges.

Again, not being flippant, but how long is a piece of string (as the say)?

Thirteen risers, twelve treads and one landing then - and a bloody nuisance to stop sqeaking at the best of times without some fairly major, time consuming and costly works. And even then, the likelyhood of a 100% long-term success is rather small.

Unless the stairs have been uncarpeted since installation, been occupied by several large families and rather old in years, then it's unlikely "the wood is just worn out" - just remember that "wood" will ultimately move no matter how well you think its fixed.

My advice woul be that unless the stair treads are badly split, rotten - or every one of them 'screams' when its stepped on - then just put up with it, or try a full stair carpet with a very good quality underlay (as I have done) to 'mute' the noise to an acceptable level.

Cash

Reply to
Cash