Tiling over wooden floorboards?

About ten years ago when I last had tiling done over a wooden floor (18mm ply I think) the tiler used an orange coloured mesh under the tiles. This was glued to the floor using some sort of contact adhesive AFAIK and then the tiles were stuck down on top of it and grouted in the normal way. So far this has worked very well.

I'm about to do some tiling over wooden floorboards and wondered if this approach was still appropriate or is there something more modern available?

I would also like to know what the going rate is for this type of work?

TIA

David

Reply to
David McMillan