Tiling a wooden floor?

Hi All, I am looking at giving my bathroom and thunder-box a make-over; they are both upstairs, the floors are tongue-and -groove over double joists. If I fix any lose boards etc, could I tile directly onto the floor? I know I would have to rip it up in the event of plumbing problems; but other than that, are there any other potential problems I need to be aware of?

Or should I just put my under-pants on my head, stick two pencils up my nose and go Wibble, Wibble, Wibble!

Reply to
Martin

These guys know what they're talking about imho

BillR

You don't mention what type of tiles but in case it helps - we have just used ceramic tiles on floorboards in bathroom refurb but were advised to use 18mm marine ply ontop of floorboards and under the tiles to prevent movement that might crack the tiles/grout. We actually ended up using 12mm to minimise change in floor heights between rooms but ensured all boards firmly screwed down as was the ply. In case of later plumbing problems, we reckon it will be easier to go up thro' downstairs ceiling than try and lift the tiles to sort it - so heres hoping there won't be any! :-[ Mind you, looking back, perhaps we should have just stuck two pencils up our nose.......

Reply to
Aiden