boarding floor for tiling

I'm about to board over my bathroom floor so I can lay ceramic tiles, could anybody suggest the correct thickness of ply to use and would WBP be best or would ordinary stuff do?

TIA

Peter.

Reply to
PJK

On joists set at 400mm centres, 3/4 ply or waterproof chip board will do. How much bounce is there in the floor and is the substrate level. Depending on how much care was taken selecting the joists, the floor could be very uneven.

You can stiffen the joists up with nogging pieces if needed Ply will need supporting with them anyway at each edge. Chipboard flooring needs glue in the joints but you can leave them unsupported.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you're going over existing wooden flooring you need to make sure this is securely fixed first: screw down any loose boards or bits. Then 6mm or

9mm WBP ply (not ordinary stuff, cheapskate :-)) over the top liberally screwed and/or glued (PU or gripfill) down. Use appropriate tile adhesive for tiling onto wood floors.
Reply to
John Stumbles