key safe recommendation

Recommendation for key safe required. This is the type to be fitted outside of a front door and holds the front door key.
This is for an elderly relative with failing sight (in one eye) so
ideally needs large easy to read numbers and a mechanism that easy to use. It will also be used by carers visiting the property.
Currently fitted is this type https://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-5-key-combination-key-safe/77908
and IMO is completely crap. The numbers on the combination are small and with fairly limited use are already silver on a silver background and even I have difficulty in seeing them. The opening lever requires thin fingers and not only has it to be pushed down but to open the box has to be caught with a finger nail to bring it forward.
I have another type fitted somewhere on my property with small push buttons that is slightly better but once open it is very fiddly to close again having to re-input the code, but now with the buttons on the hinged section section that is free. OK maybe for the occasional use but probably not suitable for day to day use where carers may be different people each day, and again not suitable for someone with failing sight
Sometimes one can only judge the ease of working of some of these equipments trying to use them on a regular basis hence a call for recommendations.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 09:02:59 +0000, alan_m wrote:

lock

phones

B-)
But doesn't rule out an electronic keypad and lock.

I guess removing any latch so that the door had to be physically locked on exit (thus ensuring user had key) wouldn't work as they'd also forget that door needs locking.
--
Cheers
Dave.

though that's still the default for old folk likely to forget
leaving the door unlocked is seen as the least worse option
tim
On Friday, 22 November 2019 09:03:02 UTC, alan_m wrote:

I guess we'll just have to wait for finger print access to such things, should be too long, suprised I haven't seen such a thing on dragons den.

On Friday, 22 November 2019 11:53:57 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

I believe that fingerprint readers can be fooled with either a latex impression or a dead finger.
Owain
On 22/11/2019 12:07, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

More likely in real life a dirty/greasy finger leaving a print on the sensor.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

According to my Motorola phone handbook their fingerpring sensors use the (IR?) pattern of subcutneous capillary blood vessels rather than the actual fingerprints, which would be hard to duplicate without the correct, living finger.
--

Roger Hayter

I think that's likely to be case for any domestic implementation
tim
On Friday, 22 November 2019 12:07:25 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

.
ession or a dead finger.
Some devices can the cheaper ones. But why are we seucuring the door from o thers is the important thing here, and it;s not like no one has ever gained access without the correct key to any place, it;s just what effort you nee d to take to eliminate such a thing and in most cases I doubt many people c arry a dead finger around with them, or have access to the latex and a suit able finger. Face recognicion is another option, I've heard in the USA they are looking into guns that can only be fired after face recogniction has been used. I'm expecting some idiot to blow their own face off.

On 22/11/2019 13:28, whisky-dave wrote:

And possible after all the electronic security the interlock will be a simple relay contact that can be bypassed with a bit of wire.
The law abiding will use the face recognition while the criminal fraternity and US kids "borrowing" firearms will look on Youtube and find the bypass.
Much like the popular home safes with an electronic keypad where the lock relay can be defeated simply by placing a magnet in the top left corner of the door to trigger the relay.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk