Windows 7 nag screen...

Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has started to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines? Also while in use most windows 7 machines since the recent updates have apparently started refreshing their screens, no matter what is running. The sighted may not see this except for perhaps a mouse position move, but blind users, if reading a document, find it stops the reading, as it changes the focus of the carat. Similar things can happen if some alert is displayed, but there is no alert, so I did wonder if this was in readiness for a mega nag after the end of January to piss off users. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Mine stopped updating ages ago. Now even the antivirus program (Security Essentials) refuses to update its virus definitions. The machine continues to work all right.

Reply to
Max Demian

I'm still getting daily msse updates and today two new windows 7 updates. I know that msse has been doctored on xp machines to appear not to update, but this looks like an illusion at least for one of the two files it downloads, and scanning continues and as long as you do the update even if it says its failed it carries on going. On windows 7, to stop the nag screen there is a scheduled task called end of life which runs two tasks, notify 1 and notify2 which if disabled seem to stop it from showing it, but of course Microsoft will no doubt send a new update to stop this again at the end of January. Pro machines like this one seem not to have had the screen yet, even though the routine was actually installed in April. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

W7 32 bit pro is still updating (if you call 180meg. downloads an update!)

In Firefox, I find screens can *jump* when reading BBC news articles. I assumed this was further content being added above where I had reached.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Strange. Mine updates every week, but it is the Pro version so that may explain it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They are taking every means possible to tell you that updates will be stopping shortly. Perhaps this nag screen is just the start!

Reply to
Fredxx

Yup Win 7 still gets updates (until 14th Jan next year). He probably has a broken windows update mechanism (or one that was knobbled by malware).

(the troubleshooter can often fix windows update issues).

Failing that, download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it "update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of win 10 without losing programs and data.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm not getting that with Win7 Pro/32 (yet).

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I notice that when looking at both Richer Sounds and J-L websites.

Annoying if I am trying to select a 'brand' only to find that the screen 'jumps' and I have selected something else.

Reply to
Andrew

Can the W10 media creation tool be used to upgrade from W7 to W10, or is it just for upgrading an older W10 to a more recent version? I've been browsing to find out more about it and I'm left wondering whether it's just the latter.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It will update any properly licensed Win 7 or Win 8.1 to 10. It updates to the same version as that in installed - so Home upgrades to Win 10 Home, and Pro to Win 10 Pro.

Once upgraded, it should be shown as "activated with a digital license", and you can do future reinstalls on the same hardware without needing to have the previous version installed.

Nope, it definitely still does the full upgrade (well it did last time I tried a few days ago). Not sure if this is an intentional "oversight" or if its just a hangover from the way in which it was originally given away.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you. I'll give it a go fairly soon, in case they change their minds!

Reply to
Chris Hogg
<snip>

I thought the original in-situ upgrade option expired some time ago and the media creation tool only produced bootable installation media (DVD/USB) to allow you to *install* W10 but still using a W7-8 licence?

Can I conform we are still able to *upgrade* a W7-8 installation to W10 with all user data and (more importantly) programs and settings intact (and if so possibly also 'how' please if it's not obvious).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Microsoft never actually stopped the upgrade from working, I've upgraded a dozen, they all activate cleanly.

Reply to
Andy Burns

How though?

I think I remember the original upgrade was offered to you automatically and then it stopped (being offered) but you may have been able to still get it by running something yourself. Then I thought that stopped but you could still actually install W10 using a W7/8 key, just that you couldn't upgrade?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

I don't suppose any of this works on 32 bit anyway:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

download the media creation tool, let it download Win10, make a bootable DVD iso or a USB stick, boot from it ... or you can skip making the bootable media and let the MCT begin the upgrade, but it's handy to have media available for another time.

it's fine, you can't upgrade a 32bit to a 64bit though, must clean install.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup, done that many times ... ;-)

So, this is just an in-situ *upgrade* as I think when I've gone to do that it's told me it can't do an upgrade but might store my data in a separate folder (and I'd lose all my programs and settings)?

I wonder if it's that ... I've been wanting to take machines to 64bit, not because it's 'better' (for that hardware) but because more stuff it going 64 bit only?

I must have a 64b W7 machine somewhere, I'll try it (after imaging it on my WHS). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I thought the 'free upgrade' (to win 10) was time-limited and expired ages ago . Have Microsoft changed their policy ?

I have Win 7 Pro OEM and the disk has 32 and 64 bit versions. I have installed the 32 bit version, so what version of Win10 would I end up with ?.

Reply to
Andrew

That's what they said, but in effect they never raised the drawbridge.

As an upgrade, Win10 Pro 32bit

Reply to
Andy Burns