Anyone else noticed that 7.5kW showers are getting harder to come by?

I have been able to find a 7.5kW electric shower but it took calls to several places before I found one.

Surely there must be a reasonable market for these as replacement units. Upgrading 40A is not always possible or prudent.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:34:37 +0100, "Ed Sirett" strung together this:

Hand washes you mean!

You can run 8.5kw on a 32A circuit, just about, in most circumstances. (Unless you work it out as per the regs, then you can't).

Reply to
Lurch

Yep it will work but if anything went wrong you would be in very deep sh*t.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I thought this was a definite no-no - wrong?

Reply to
Grunff

The Triton T50i seems to keep going obsolete and then reappearing. I recently bought a backup spare for £40 at our local Homebase.

Reply to
Tony Williams

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:27:39 +0100, Grunff strung together this:

That's what I said, if you do it to the regs then you can't.

Reply to
Lurch

I thought that was what you said ;-)

Reply to
Grunff

How do the regs cope with a "32A" load. At 240V +8% (?), and a short cable with negligable drop, it'll draw very close to the 8.5Kw nominal heater.

Hmm.

8.5Kw nominal 240V = 35.41A. This is 6.77 ohms. At 4% permitted drop this is 34A. Oh well.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

My take on this is: The marketing people have decided that the greater the power the greater the attractiveness of an electric shower, fair enough, since the flow rates are very poor. For this reason I expect that showers are headlined as their power at 240V, with their 'true' rating at 230V somewhere in the small print.

Anyway the maximum permitted shower power on a 32A MCB (voltage drop, and disconnection times not withstanding) is 7.36kW (which is 7.68kW @ 240V).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes.

No, because the 32A design load applies at 230 V, so the power at 240 V will be 7.36 * (240/230)^2 kW = 8.01 kW (assuming the resistance remains constant, which it will to a very close approximation). At 240V the shower is drawing 33.4 A without violating any regulations.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes you are right, I had missed that point.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In article , Ed Sirett writes

About 15 years ago I installed a 7½ kW shower. It was OK in summertime, but virtually useless in cold weather, unless you reduced the flow to more or less a trickle, when it was still virtually useless!

Certainly in a cooler climate, such as here oop north, it was a no-no.

I'm much happier now with a high pressure thermostatic thingy working off the combi boiler.

Reply to
Frank Erskine