beware SharkBite

I was unable to slide a piece of 1/2" PEX onto an elbow. I've found the reason. Virtually all fittings that seal against the inside of PEX are designed for SDR-9, the industry standard. The walls of my SharkBite pipe are .02" too thick. The ID is .04" too small. It's SDR-7.

A purchaser should know if he is being sold pipe that is not standard. The SharkBite site doesn't mention any SDR standard for their pipe. The only dimensions are nominal. How would the purchaser know it wasn't standard?

A Home Depot search for 1/2 PEX pipe brings up 47 items. The first three are SharkBite pipe for potable water. The store lists the nominal dimensions to three decimal places as if they were actual. Even if they were, they would be outside the industry standard. The only other choice for potable water comes at the end. That manufacturer provides dimensions proving it's SDR-9.

SharkBite may have set their wholesale price to take most of the market at Home Depot. The unsuspecting consumer discovers that only premium-priced SharkBite fittings will work. Lowes, where professionals shop, doesn't sell SharkBite pipe. If plumbers find that they must resort to heating to get SharkBite pipe onto fittings, they'll complain.

**********

I've lurked and posted here for 18 years. It has been a gold mine of information. In the days of Deja, I could often find what I needed without bothering anybody. In time, I tend to get enthused and post more. Several times when I thought I was posting too much, I've broken the habit by taking a break and returning under a new name as a newbie.

In the last year or so, my name kept turning up among the top posters. That's embarrassing, so I've taken a lot of breaks. When I wanted advice about the fitting that didn't fit, I was on a break. I came back as a newbie so I wouldn't be tempted to post in other threads.

I asked about using heat. I also asked if another brand of fitting would work better. Within minutes, Big O jumped in, telling me to learn to install PEX. Why would he presume I hadn't researched it on the web and followed the specific instructions of the manufacturer? When other newbies have posted questions about home repair, I've seen Big O respond equally quickly to stonewall them, too.

I guess everybody took their cue from Big O. Nobody responded to me about their experience with PEX. Philo responded to Big O, saying the clerk was an idiot and the fitting was defective. They congratulated each other on having each installed two PEX fittings in their lives. I'd asked if other brands worked better, but neither responded to me.

I compared their behavior to that of drunks, but that was unfair to drunks. They behaved like Sodomites, who wanted to lynch a couple of men because they were newbies. In response, Ed was kind enough to say he didn't know the answer to my questions.

Big O had told Philo I needed to do research. I posted what I found in response to Ed's post.

Philo responded to me for the first time, saying, "Basically you can here to ask a question and are simply waiting for the answer you are looking but not the right one."

The only answer I'd been given had come from Big O, amounting to "Shut up and go away." That answer wouldn't solve the problem, and I wasn't simply waiting.

When I responded to Philo, Big O responded, calling me a troll. Really?

  1. A troll lies in wait for visitors to a group. That's Big O.

  1. A troll loads a group with off-topic threads. Perhaps Big O insults visitors because he doesn't want home repair to take attention from his topics.

  2. A troll butts in to argue. I had not responded to Big O's initial post. When I responded to Ed with a link explaining Flair-It fittings, Big O butted in to denigrate the company and call them polybutylene fittings.

Philo had said he'd killfiled me, so my response was not arguing with him. Big O butted in to continue to argue.

  1. A troll persists in disproved allegations. When Big O had said they were polybutylene fittings, I reminded him that the link had repeatedly called them PEX fittings. I pointed out that they had not come out until polybutylene had been off the market ten years. Now he'd come back, butting in to say the hardware store owner and I were dense for calling them PEX fittings.

  1. A troll vastly exaggerates his qualifications. Big O says that besides installing two fittings in his bathroom, he has been a sidewalk superintendent, and this gives him more authority than a man who has been selling hardware and maintaining rental housing for fifty years.

  2. A troll slings epithets like idiot, moron and fool. With one exception, this group is pretty good about avoiding that. Now he has a disciple.

There have always been meaningful posts here, but these days I've had to look harder. When I find a nugget, trying to find it a few days later can be frustrating because of the huge volume of banality these days.

Questions from visitors have always been the lifeblood of this group, eliciting interesting and informative responses from regulars who might otherwise descend into banality. Now, when a baffled newbie asks about the experiences of others with his brand or other brands of fittings, nobody has anything to tell him.

There was a time when I believe someone in this group would have told me that a brand of PEX commonly sold for DIY won't fit because it doesn't comply with the industry standard. It looks as if readers with that level of knowledge have been driven out of Sodom. Me too.

Reply to
J Burns

Sorry for the disrespect here...it *is* worse elsewhere. I remember deja also. Philo has been decent as far as I can remember...Big O and 4-skin are the worst here (besides the resident idiot troll).

My experience with Shark-Bites...I had to replace 2 on a commercial whirlpool tube used in a nursing home...they both leaked.

Reply to
bob_villa

Help me out here...

Is your question about SharkBites, PEX, Home Depot, industry standards, drunks, sodomites, trolls, newbies, Big O, Philo or nym-shifting?

It's all so jumbled together it's hard to tell.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[much elided]

Unmoderated newsgroups have always had that tendency. There are other groups that spend megabytes arguing politics -- no doubt folks who are scared shitless of doing so ina *bar* as the guy sitting next to them may opt to pop them in the nose! But, the relative safety and anonymity of USENET lets folks rant at will.

As with anything you get for free, you get exactly what you *paid* for! :>

The folks who know may not be interested in replying. Or, may have "moved on". I've stopped posting in many "technical" Big-7 groups simply because I'd spend most of my time trying to explain what I was trying to ask (cuz folks needed to be "spoon fed" and could only respond to questions of the form: X + 7 = 12; what is X?). Then, be met with grumbling because I spent so much time explaining myself! (I guess highly technical people have poor reading skills?) At the end of the day, my questions would go unanswered -- so, I now rely on folks that I converse with via email for answers to

*real* questions!

USENET -- and *most* forums -- are primarily *social* places (esp alt.*). The information you glean is just a bonus. You don't come here (or go

*there*) with an expectation of an answer. Rather, the *hope* of some bit of information (that you've had to *tease* out of the replies) that you can then build on.
Reply to
Don Y

Of course, there are different grades of water copper, K, L, M, and not sure if any other. Those might be different OD, not sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Please, sir, may we have some.... MORE?

- . Christopher A. Fucknozzle Young learn more about Jesus .

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

K L and M have the same external zise but different thickness - and therefore different IDs

Reply to
clare

...this can't be our little Mormon?

Reply to
bob_villa

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

+1 I could not figure it either. He had a previous post that I reamed him about because it led all over fantasy land. He also repeats the same posts multiple times, insults anyone trying to help and then gets medieval. He might have been the second person on the inet behind AlGore but sure hasn't learned anything.
Reply to
Tekkie®