Case of the missing socks

Most every time I go to the laundromat I come home with one or two less socks than I went with! As I did today.

My theory is all their customers' missing socks are recycled to China by all the laundromats and resold in Walmart or dollar stores.

Or aliens are collecting them for some interesting reason.

Or...

Winder how many other items I'm missing?

What's your theory?

Reply to
KenK

There is a simple, totally affective, way to prevent this from happening in the future... quit washing them! After a short period of time they will begin to take on a life of their own and nobody would want to get near them, let alone carry them off, so the demand for them would eventually reduce to zero. Problem solved.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'm more worried about my missing shoe.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Oren wrote in news:93ajvatmkg4h9bdiimu3k5bkc7sblgclak@

4ax.com:

That's a new one to me. I'll have to try to remeber to do that.

Reply to
KenK

Get a mesh bag instead. That's what I used in the Navy.

Reply to
Vic Smith

No. The aliens are fascinated with book *matches*! Any smoker could tell you that their matches are ALWAYS missing. It's because the aliens come and collect them when they're not looking.

Every once in a while, you'll hear some astronomer report on sighting some new supernova. In truth, this is really one of the aliens' home planets going up in a giant ball of fire when some dolt like Frodbelg or Gnifgnorf "accidentally" lights one of the matches... without noticing all the *other* collected matches nearby!

RIP Frodbelg.

It is for this reason that many smokers switch to using LIGHTERS -- out of concern for all of the other Frodbelgs and Gnifgnorfs out there!

Reply to
Don Y

Many years ago I came home from the laundromat with a little extra: Some black lace woman's underwear.

My wife questioned that one!

Now I'm on my 2nd marriage and we have our own washer and drier.

I looked all over the house for a missing sock, and my wife found it next to the bed.

Reply to
philo

Probably some socks wind up in a pants leg during the wash. I've gotten to work a few times and noticed a fabric softener sheet sticking out of my pants leg. Who knows how many have fallen out.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Why is it that people always find things in the last place they look?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That;s the actual answer I believe. Sometimes you do lose a sock, but sometimes you come home with a sock that someone else left in a machine and you just think that you lost the other one since they all look alike.

One of my cats has a thing about my socks. He regularly pulls one out of the hamper and drops it somewhere. Since he gets under lots of furniture, the sock is likely to end up almost anywhere.

Reply to
dgk

I sometimes find single socks on the side of the machine, in-between stuff. My case Closed.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I am convinced that socks are the larval form of wire coat hangars. I keep missing socks and accumating those hangars.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Incredibly there are a few people who keep on looking anyway

Reply to
philo

Why do people stop looking after they find some thing?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Cuz they were/are terrible at the game Hide and Seek?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Oren wrote in news:lrcjvapbjmdgoaj4aqi2ju2mn5no8r1s9v@

4ax.com:

Yes, I remember that. Or some other way to make them available and noticed. But I haven't seen it done for years now.

Reply to
KenK

Vic Smith posted for all of us...

That's why I don't wear shorts, my Depends stick out...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Gordon Shumway posted for all of us...

+1 Perfect solution.
Reply to
Tekkie®
[snip]

an alternative is stop worrying about pairs. When you're getting dressed you need two socks. There's no reason they need to be a particular two.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Then it could be like that "Married With Children" episode where some aliens want all Al's dirty socks to use as spaceship fuel.

Reply to
hah