Re: I saw the weirdest ad in the paper ...

Could be... I'm actually posting this from the Bayshore Mall, piggybacking a Dell Kiosk's wireless signal while eating some fast-food Chinese ('Manchu Wok'; styrofoam dish is mainly green string beans with the odd piece of chicken, onion and green/red pepper in a sauce... Nothing like the Chinese food I had in China (but then I was spoiled with the meals there)... I'm unsure I recall seeing a so-called caucasian working at a Chinese food place (takes another bite).

Reply to
Warm Worm

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

So does Macy's. So do ALL retailers and suppliers (in most cases, can't say "manufacturers" any more).

The X-Mrts only sell the stuff for less. But it's nearly all made overseas, no matter which store you go to and no matter how much you pay. I was looking at furniture a year or two ago, looked in supposeldy "upscale" stores (I dunno about "upscale" but the proces certainly said "up yopurs"...), and nearly all of the furniture was made in CHina. Has nothing to do with K-MArt of Wal-Mart or Big Lots or any of those. Even the very high-priced items are made in China.

And, excuse the pee outta me, but why should I pay 30% more at the Snoot-O- Rama for the *exact same stuff* I can get at WalMart?

The monotonus "it's all X-Mart's fault" litany of nonsense merely deflects attention from what actually happening.

Reply to
Kris Krieger
++ wrote in news:1MKdnU3CcIL_rK7anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

What, you think every one else is stupid? Of course peole know. The problem is that people don't know what to do about it, short of just about not buying anything at all.

THere is a book written by a woman who lived for a year without buying anthing from China; the book describes the twists and turns, searches, and many other difficulties she faced in doing such simple things as trying to get shoes for her kids without resorting to Chinese-made stuff. I have to try to find the reference.

But the point is that, Of Course many people know. It's the

*doing/fixing* that's the problem. Especially when any savings are not passed on to consumers and not invested back into the companies, but rather, going right into the pockets of "top managers" who don't give a crap about anything whatsoever except having multiple mega-million-dollar mansions and yachts and gold-plated toilet seats and whatever. The thing is that, once someone gets to that level, the way it works is that, even if Joe Wonderbutt runs Company A right into the ground, he's made enough connections by that time that he will get hired by his buddies to "manage" company B. I've seen it happen, as in, I have personally met/known some of these peole, and in the current Capitalist system, the crap definitely floats to the top.

Except you can't seel that idea unless there is money in it for the people who are in the positions to make those decisions.

Repressive usually meaning "run by a few rish doods", meaning, in turn, 'rich doods who are buddy-buddy with like-minded rich doods who are in power elsewhere, such as the USA".

No kidding.

Again, tho', follow the money. Because that is what it is all about. People do not want to make a profit - people want to make a friggin' killing. And it's not restricted to the "upper echelons". Try house- hunting - people will literally let their house fall to complete insect- infested, rodent-overrun, mold-soaked shytte, and then turn around and expect someone to pay mega-bucks for it. And then we wonder why houses cost so much, yeesh.

People are greedy. Greed is usually not very compatible with concern for human rights.

I was too disgusted to even know what to say. OF course, why *should* I know what to say - I'm just a Stupid Polack =>:-p

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

SOrry, but I don't see that being forced to pay high prioces for cheap crap is a "win", esp. when the people who used to make decent stuff are being laid off or forced to scramble for jobs that don't pay a living wage.

I recognize that not everyone can eb a genius - maybe being a pipe-fitter

*is* what someone can do, and all they can do. I've done volunteer work with people of limited intellect, who are nevertheless fine people who, like anyone else, are trying live live their own lives and get by. Not everyone is capable fo jumping from career to career, and I don't see that it's a good thing to force those folks onto UI/welfare, while their jobs are sent to some other country.

I don't have hours and hours to write endless essays about this stuff, so all i'll say is that I do not agree *one bit* that the current trend is at all a good one - all that is being done is that the power brokers are "robbing Peter to pay Paul", and ONLY because by doing so, they can stuff an extra nickel per dollar into their personal bank accounts.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

We're not just talking about trinkets any more, however. We're talking about *everything*.

Consider the meaning of the phrases "Company Town" and "Company Store". Now consider the fact that it isn't just the town any more, but the nation, and that the stores and mortgages and everything are being bought by China, which doesn't give any more of a hang about worker/human rights than did the old mining/railroad monopolies.

And you think this is a win-win situation...??

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

I don't know anything about that. I don't beleive in the rapture anyway

- it was thouught up in the late 1800's. And it is easily debatable that the Book of Revelations deals with the physical end of the world.

If Armageddon happens, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy - not something brought about by a mystical force, but rather, human wish- fulfillment. It's like someone who reads their horoscope in the morning, and then subconsciously does something (or interprets something) that seems to indicate the "accuracy" of the "prediction".

It irritates me, becasue I know people who figure that nothing at all matters because Armageddon is coming soon anyway, so pollution is fine, war and all of its destructions is fine, and so on. Too many people are working as hard as they can to *make* Armageddon happen.

Reply to
Kris Krieger