Skimmed Milk

Sainsbury's and Tesco's have stopped selling it. Anyone know where I can get it.
I'm on a low fat diet, hence I want skimmed milk. I can buy normal and semi-skimmed, just not skimmed
Would it not have been more helpful to sell normal and skimmed then people who wanted semi could mix normal and skimmed.
I guess I was stupid not to panic buy. The clever people panic bought, whilst hypocritically complaining about everyone else panic buying.
On 25/03/2020 17:35, Pancho wrote:

So drink the semi, and reduce fat in other areas to compensate?
--
Cheers,

John.
On 25/03/2020 18:06, John Rumm wrote:

fat is good for you (in moderation).
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 18:56:09 +0000, Andrew

Not necessarily, if you've got gallstones or had your gallbladder removed.
--

Chris

On 25/03/20 19:01, Chris Hogg wrote:

Only for some. Mine went over three years ago and as far as I'm concerned it has made no difference whatsoever. Ice cream, full fat cheese, mayonnaise, etc, etc are no different than from before the op. Well, not exactly /no/ difference - my chances of getting gallstones are rather remote...
--

Jeff

And depending on how we process it.
eg. If it passes though the stomach wall into the bloodstream or only some of it does and the rest being passed though untouched?
It has been suggested there are links to cultures who drink *homogenised* cows milk versus those who don't homogenise and cholesterol levels.
But we know the dairy industry is a powerful as the oil, car and NRA.
Cheers, T i m

Only in the USA.
On 25/03/2020 18:56, Andrew wrote:

How does that work if she asks "do I look fat in this dress?"
--
Adam

On 25/03/2020 20:19, ARW wrote:

Doesn't make her look fatter than any other dress?
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 20:19:31 UTC, ARW wrote:

"No dear, you're just showing more of the pattern than Twiggy would."
Owain
On 25/03/2020 20:19, ARW wrote:

Be honest, but blame the bi-focals.
On 26/03/2020 13:34, Andrew wrote:

5 days since I last had proper contact with her.
We had a chat across the garden fence tonight.
--
Adam

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 18:06:15 +0000, John Rumm

If fat is the issue (when drinking baby cow growth fluid, the lactate of a completely different species?) how do Soya / Almond / Oat 'milks' compare?
What is it you don't you get in those that you get in heavily processed bovine lactate, apart from cow hormones and steroids and other drugs I mean?
Don't get me wrong, I drank cows milk for most of my life ... until I became more aware of how bizarre the practice was, and with the alternatives around (now), isn't something I've missed at all.
Unsweetened oat milk in tea and coffee, unsweetened soya or almond on cereal.
And another benefit (atm especially) is it's long life and rarely pillaged off the shelves. ;-)
And that's ignoring all the water the dairy industry consumes and the stress on the mothers and calves as they are separated very early on (so we can drink what the calves should be drinking) ... ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On 25/03/2020 18:06, John Rumm wrote:

I don't like fat in milk, it makes it taste stale, off. Using up my ration of fat on something that I don't like the taste of pisses me off. I guess I will be avoiding milk for a while. I have tried substitutes and don't like them, even long life. I will just go without.
I much prefer my allowance of fat goes on eggs, curry, sausages, bacon.

Indeed, same here. After years of getting used to the "taste" and "lightness" of fully skimmed milk, even semi-skimmed tastes as if it got lumps of clotted cream floating around in it.

That's a good point actually. Unfortunately people who drink skimmed milk are still regarded as "weirdos" by many people. Same as were vegetarians vegans and blokes with beards until it became the fashion.
My local small Sainsbury, mainly patronised by more sophisticated types (natch) normally had a whole shelf of skimmed. While a big Sainsbury a few miles away despite being ten times the size, and having a more mixed clientele, often had none.
I think the thinking was, that people who drink semi-skimmed might not have been able to work this out for themselves, and thus would have been more capable of making trouble than wierdos who were already weakened by years of drinking skimmed milk.
michael adams
On 25/03/2020 18:32, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Raw milk at the local farm shop for me. And once a year we can go and watch the cows wandering in and out of the LELY robot milkers on their open day. Amazing machines. LOTS of Youtube videos ...
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 19:09:00 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

You got two things right there, including starting the para / sentence with a capital (showing you can do it if you want to)!
Now we know you can do capitals, all you need to do is start most of your new posts with an O, a T and a : and you might get a bit closer to getting people to actually reply to you, so you don't have to get all upset when they reply to others posting similar.
Homogenised (a marketing process) milk also contains it's fat in very small particles that it has been suggested can easier pass though the digestive system lining and into the bloodstream (than non homogenised, were the undigested lumps just pass through) and can have an impact on peoples cholesterol levels (cholesterol a result of an enzyme on the outside of the fat droplet eroding the inside of our blood pipework, requiring the body to produce cholesterol in an attempt to repair the damage)?
I did recently book a '60+ MOT Blood test and was interested to see my cholesterol levels since I stopped drinking cows milk a few years back ... but then Covid-19 appeared and I didn't fancy sitting round the 'packed' blood clinic all morning ... ;-(
Cheers, T i m
wrote: > <snip> > You got two things right there, including starting the para / sentence

It's "its fat" in that context.
In the case of "it's" and "its" the use of the apostrophe is confined to the contraction "it's"; which is used in place of "it is" and "it has".
HTH
michael adams

All such tests are simply a one-off snapshot and the actual figure can vary quite a lot. You can verify this for yourself by buying a self-test meter and strips or take the word (after having first forked out for the meter and strips ) of people who've studied the topic. Google some of the text to find the link.
<quote>
Taken together, these studies demonstrate several points. First, there was substantial day-to-day variability in total cholesterol. For example, 80 percent of Mogadam's subjects had fluctuations in excess of 30 mg/dl, and 25 percent had fluctuations exceeding 50 mg/dl.
<quote>
The standard conversion to UK mmol/L units is divide by 38.6 which gives ranges of 0.7 mmol/L and 1.29 mmol/L respectively.
Most subjects would probably find an improvement or deterioration of 1.29 1.29 mmol/L on a one of test, which can affect 25% of subjects fairly significant I would imagine.
It's the same as BP basically. It's the average that matters which is why its better to self test, which in the case of BP costs nothing further after the initial outlay apart from batteries.
michael adams
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 20:52:03 -0000, "michael adams"

Of course but depending on what you are looking for. If it's your cholesterol or blood sugar levels then I agree, if it's for the presence of some specific marker then no (and my Dr ticked most of the boxes). ;-)

I did enquire about that sort of thing here a while back but was pointed to getting a test done via the Dr.
<snip> ><quote>

Ok?

I have one somewhere. ;-)
Cheers, T i m