Skimmed Milk

I think I saw that the manufacture of skimmed milk would be stopped - so you might have problems finding it anywhere.

Mixing skimmed and full-fat would be a lot of hard work, and would mean keeping two old milk bottles (or one of twice the size) to mix the full-fat and skimmed into - but it's a good bit of lateral thinking ;-)

Reply to
NY

Yes, I find skimmed to be little more than "coloured" water. I notice the difference between full-fat and semi-skimmed much less than between semi-skimmed and skimmed.

At a pinch (eg when we've run out of semi-skimmed) I've tried my wife's oat or soya milk on my breakfast, and it's OK but not exactly pleasant.

Reply to
NY

when we got some by mistake, our cat wouldn't touch it.

Reply to
charles

And baby cows would die if expected to live on it (along with everything other than 100% milk of course).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oat milk is different that's for sure and especially that it doesn't lighten the colour in tea and coffee as much as cows milk does but at least it doesn't 'go funny' in tea / coffee like many of the alternatives do.

But it's like when I went from 2 sugars in my tea / coffee to none, you have to get used to it but once you do, that becomes your new norm and either with sugar now tastes sickly sweet (as do her sweeteners put with sweetener there is the aftertaste).

But we (all, 4 of us) went from semi skimmed milk for everything to oat / soya / almond milk for everything overnight and do so happily, because we tried changing during Veganuary and now even the thought of drinking (as a human) 'baby cow growth fluid' seems bizarre to us. That's not to say we (the Mrs and I, daughter and granddaughter would probably have it black) would make a fuss if we were out and someone offered us a tea or coffee, it's just if it were a cafe or restaurant we would ask if they had oat milk and they often do.

Just drinking a cuppa now (with oat milk) I can more detect we are on a new box of teabags and different to what we typically have, than I can that it's oat and not semi skimmed cows milk.

But I guess it's like anything, how difficult / easy the change is a function of what's driving the change. For us it was partly the idea of going Vegan and doing that for a whole gambit of reasons ... and that was before we watched 'Cowspiracy' on Netflix. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Of course but depending on what you are looking for. If it's your cholesterol or blood sugar levels then I agree, if it's for the presence of some specific marker then no (and my Dr ticked most of the boxes). ;-)

I did enquire about that sort of thing here a while back but was pointed to getting a test done via the Dr.

<snip>

<shrug>

Ok?

I have one somewhere. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Supermarkets are cutting their ranges drastically to try and cope with demand (Asda now do 6 types of Pasta instead of 20, Morrison's 6 types of bread instead of 17...) . Skimmed could be a victim.

If you were lucky you could get the long life version in Aldi and Lidl (they are in short supply though).

Reply to
JoeJoe

.

Ah. I stand corrected. I always thought they were the same. Thank you.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

matt or silk ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Doesn't make her look fatter than any other dress?

Reply to
Richard

excellent...tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

"No dear, you're just showing more of the pattern than Twiggy would."

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I think it's all gone to Waitrose. We did a little shopping there last week and got the last two 1 pint containers of whole milk - the shelves were full of skimmed and semi-skimmed (which I don't like on my breakfast cereal).

Reply to
Clive Page

Well I never knew that. I've learned something new. I always assumed that that full fat was as the cow produced it, with a few non-additive, non-subtractive processes like pasteurisation and (maybe) homogenisation.

So does full-fat milk actually have *more* fat than milk straight from the cow? Or does it have less than natural milk?

I remember when my parents bought a holiday cottage in a small hamlet in the Yorkshire Dales, the famer opposite would *give* us milk straight from the refrigerated tank (take your own jug, walk back trying not to spill it). She was not allowed to sell it (because it was un-pasteurised and was bypassing the Milk Marketing Board) but could be persuaded (reluctantly) to accept "benefit in kind" if she needed any extra help on the farm - or sometimes we'd "pay" her in custard tarts (to which she was partial) if we went to the bakery in town.

It had a slightly different taste, maybe because pasteurisation normally alters the flavour slightly or maybe (bearing in mind what you say) because it had more/less fat than what you buy in the shop.

Maybe what I heard reported was not that it would no longer be produced, but that most supermarkets would no longer stock it as part of slimming down the variety of products on the shelves. I wonder what the relative proportions of sales are for skimmed, semi-skimmed and full-fat.

Reply to
NY

Be honest, but blame the bi-focals.

Reply to
Andrew

UK dairy farmers switched to holsteins because they produce a lot more milk. As a breed they are bigger and appear more bony. Farmers who installed covered yards with 'kennels' for friesians in the 50's and

60's soon found that holsteins were too long to fit comfortably in each bay needing expensive alterations.
Reply to
Andrew

Orange is purple in some supermarkets, just to confuse those people with 'brains' that are easily confused.

Reply to
Andrew

It is if you buy it from a farm/shop directly.

Reply to
Andrew

DW decreed that we should all have skimmed milk, and it didn't take long to adjust.

For the OP, perhaps you can centrifuge semi-skimmed milk, to bring the fat to the surface? You just need a tall thin bottle that will fit between the spokes of a bicycle wheel.

Reply to
GB

Just like car tax on pre-2001 cars then.

Reply to
Andrew