Toiler Roll Shortage.....

I needed to pop into the local Aldi today- they have some cord/rope on offer I need to repair my antenna which came down in the recent winds.

Senior Management instructed me to see if they had any of the particular loo roll we use in the motorhome- sure enough they not only had a reasonable stock but there didn't seem to be limit on how many you could buy. I picked up a pack of nine- the normal supply for a longer trip. A lady in the queue at the check out noticed the pack in my trolley and asked me where they were- she'd been in a couple of other shops which were cleaned out.

We also needed a couple of normal cleaning items, again they were available but people were commenting that other places were out of stock.

So, it seems at least some places are still suffering from panic buying.

Reply to
Brian Reay

< this is so sad >

I was in an Asda this morning and there was a chap with a trolley load. and I literally mean a whole trolley load, of sliced white bread. You sometimes get cafes bulk buying in Asda but it would be a pretty big cafe to use all that bread. Its tastes like cardboard as it is, and not even the best kind of cardboard And is so soft that it just flops over if not supported just so muppets will assume its fresh. So god knows what it would be like thawed out after a few months in a freezer.

< that was really sad >

michael adams

michael adams

You reckon he has enough empty freezer space for that much bread? Much more likely to end up in the bin in a weeks time when it's gone stale/mouldy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I earlier (last week) suggested that there seemed to be full shelves around here, but I was shopping on Saturday and they were down to one

18 roll pack in one shop and none at all in another. I was about to need to top up anyway, so I grabbed the last 18 roll pack.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

LOcal Aldi stocked up fully on toilet roll before opening on Saturdsay. All gone by 1100.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I went to my local lidl at 6pm yesterday and noted completely empty shelves for toilet paper AND kitchen rolls.

Reply to
alan_m

Its not unusual to see small food orientated businesses buying in bulk from supermarkets each morning.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't like bread after its been frozen. It is ok for toast but not really for eating. I do make my own bread but, as it doesn't have the additives etc., it needs to be eaten fresh. Like French bread, it doesn't keep (I'm not claiming mine is up to French bread quality).

We've got one of the 'new' M&S food halls, in fact the first one. Their bread is excellent.

Reply to
Brian Reay

We had no intention of getting any bog roll on Saturday, but there was a massive pallet of the stuff blocking the aisle, so it seemed churlish not to buy at least one :)

The only other thing we noticed out of stock (Sainsburys) was specifically the 4-pack of Heinz tomato soup. That's because we like to always keep some in, and ran out 2 weeks ago, and they were similarly out of stock last Saturday.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Playing havock with Just in Time deliveries. Production plants are usually designed to operate at near maximum output (otherwise they have been over- sized) - panic buying upsets the carefully planned chain.

Reply to
John

I was in mine about 2.30 and they still had reasonable amount left. No hand sanitiser, though.

Reply to
charles

Plenty of places have walk in freezers that would handle it fine.

Not sure what a substantial event like a decent footy game would use bread wise when selling snags in a bit of folded bread but I wouldn't be surprised if it would be a trolley load.

Reply to
John_j

I just think some shops are better at restocking than others. We have them in many supermarkets as well after an initial blip. However don't need a headache pill, the paracitamol seem to still be missing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

This wasn't a cafe owner Rod, as he wouldn't have bought so many. Commercial premises of the kind that have walk in freezers don't fill them up with trolley loads of bread as it would involve to much faffing around to render it palatable again assuming this is ever possible in the first place.

michael adams

michael adams

In my local Sainsbury corner shop there is a large notice stating how many slices of bread are wasted each day in the uk. The poster goes on to advise freeze the bread and use it for toast.

Reply to
alan_m

Probably because toilet rolls are mass produced item whereas hand sanitiser for most people is a none per year purchase.

I always carry a toilet roll and a small bottle of sanitiser in the car

- having been caught out once stopping at a roadside toilet, and in urgent need, to find no paper or a working tap. Luckily I had an old paper road map in the car! The joys of being stuck in a traffic jam for hours :)

Reply to
alan_m

Which is why I think the government should have made sure that there was an adequate supply when is was apparent that the virus would spread outside China. Matt Handcock claimed that he had met with supermarkets and that is one of the things that he should have told them.

Reply to
Michael Chare

And how do you propose they ensured that ?

Told them what ?

Reply to
John_j

There is. Look on ebay.

There are also many 2nd & 3rd line hand sanitizers available such as bleach, meths, etc.

Supermarkets do not need to be told the basics of their business. If I were a supermarket buyer and couldn't get enough ABC brand sanitizer I'd be buying XYZ brand from China as well. (Not from Wuhan :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I used top buy Waitrose brown loaves not from the counter but frozen part baked in the state they put them into the store ovens for that 'fresh bread' experience.

My oven was just as good as theirs.

The trick with frozen baked bread is to wash it in water and then bake it in a 200°C oven.

Of course that's not easy if its sliced blotting paper bread

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher