Well OT - sparkling water shortage?

Recently there has been no sparkling water in any of the supermarkets.

Is this localised, or country wide?

Assuming that anyone else buys sparkling water, of course.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Did you look at the other shelves? Huge bare patches, seems to vary from day to day what's missing though, pingdemic affecting delivery/stacking staff presumably?

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is the norm, surely? For quite a few years Tesco has dropped their fizzy drinks - particularly the cheaper lines - during the summer. Just not enough return to be made versus the physical volume of the products.

Add to that the regular shortage of CO2 - and the lack of HGV drivers.

The only d-i-y aspect is that we've anticipated and stocked up - as usual.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Also apparently shortage of CO2 (& that other thing ...)

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

just get yourself a sodastream system and carbonate some tap water......?

Or buy some edible glitter and sprinkle in a glass of tap water? it will then sparkle

Reply to
SH

+1. And quite often the same (non-seasonal) stuff short in all my local ones (Tesco, Lidl, Sainsburys). Lacto Free and Cranberry juice at the moment, two of my wife's key beverages.
Reply to
newshound

I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned Brexit, which would prolong this thread no end.

Ooops!

Reply to
GB

Theo

I have never seen the upside of buying bottled water .

Mind you I live on the west side of Edinburgh Scotland . The reservoir is about a mile from my house and Scotland is renowned for having good drinking water.

Reply to
soup

Well, you have now! But why brexit should suddenly start affecting supermarket stock levels after 6 or 18 months depending how you view it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

you would if you were brought up in an area of hard water and then moved to an area with soft

Tap water is literally undrinkable

(I imagine the reverse is also true, but I've never come across bottled water that is soft)

Reply to
tim...

well it might be because of the shortage of lorry drivers

but ATM I think the effect of "pingdemic" is an order of magnitude worse here.

Hopefully the new T&T isolation rules will cause that problem to go away over the coming months

Reply to
tim...

I would expect "Highland Spring" to be soft, "Buxton" isn't

Reply to
charles

If double-jabbed will be good enough from the 16th to avoid having to self-immolate, then why isn't it good enough today? They seem to be saying "we want to encourage people to get jabbed", well allowing them to not isolate is surely a huge incentive?

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever get to 90% 1st jab, seems down to a trickle now, was 88.0% on july 23rd still only 88.7% today, we were doing over 1% a day before ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 03/08/2021 13:12, Peter Able wrote: ...

Not that I've noticed. Tesco today had space on their shelves for lots of fizzy drinks, just not many of them in the spces.

You don't need CO2 for naturally carbonated water, but many of those come from Europe and the driver shortage will affect those.

Reply to
nightjar

I used to buy bottled water, when the local supply came from a very peaty lochan.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Less chance of a heart attack in hard water areas though

Reply to
Andrew

Ah! fine by me, we have very hard water

Reply to
charles

I thought that is the water that all people with good taste drunk:-)

Not much in the Aldi today. But then you could have asked the same question 7 years ago and got the same answer depending on what day of the week it was.

My local Aldi has spent the last 7 years running out of basics on a day to day rota.

Reply to
ARW

Surely part of the problem is that water is a high weight, high volume, low value product with a long shelf life.

If, for whatever reason, there is a shortage in some part of the system of getting products onto the shelves then it makes sense to concentrate on mmore perishable, higher value, products.

Reply to
John