Well OT - sparkling water shortage?

If the Government was serious about climate change and CO2 shouldn't they be banning fizzy drinks?

Reply to
alan_m

and fermentation?

Reply to
Robin

And exhalation.

Reply to
Max Demian

Adam says she is expert at worming a cat

Reply to
Andrew

I see they're to be allowed 11 hours per shift on their tacho as of monday ... or to reduce their rest periods between shifts, but not both.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No one is burning fossil fuel so there is no carbon dioxide to go in the bottles

:0-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

which one? I find hard water less drinkable than soft

I've never come across it as hard

Mineral water has many minerals in it, but calcium bicarbonate is not one of them

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Due to delivery driver shortage supermarkets central warehouse only distributing things we actually need to but. Water inst one of them as we all have a tap!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

They're still distributing cakes, bread, etc., which we can all make ourselves, but not sparkling water which most of us can't.

And no, I am not really being serious about that.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yesterday, one LBC in-phoner was adamant that in the event of essential shortages we could make many things at home. He gave bread as an example, as he already made it himself. I guess he was totally overlooking the possibility of a shortage of flour.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

which, of course, there was last year

Reply to
charles

I prefer the name chunky

The sloppy pussy is in Hull waiting for me on Monday when I finish the job in Swanland.

Reply to
ARW

Yes and no. There was a shortage of flour in the shops, but no actual shortage of flour.

Something like 96% of flour is bulk delivered to factories or delivered to smaller bakeries, restaurants, etc. in large packs/sacks.

As businesses closed down and home baking grew, there simply wasn't the capacity to manufacture and fill sufficient small packages to meet demand.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Which one is Toby?

Reply to
SH

sorry don't get your logic

To make bread, cakes etc, I have to go to shop to buy raw ingredients, mix them up using some kitchen tools and cook with a piece of kitchen equipment

to make sparkling water I have to go to shop to buy raw ingredients and then mix them up using a piece of kitchen equipment

I don't quite see how the latter requires more skill/effort/equipment on my part than the former does.

FTAOD I don't make cakes because I don't have the necessary skills/equipment even if I were prepared to put in the necessary effort.

Reply to
tim...

The point was that people were saying that supermarkets were concentrating on deliveries of essentials - which cakes, etc. aren't - and bread is easily made.

It is not so easy to make sparkling water, without buying extra equipment (not necessarily cheap), at home. So while sparkling water is definitely not an essential, there is an argument that it doesn't make sense to prioritise cakes over it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Bread is not easily made by all. There are plenty of people unable to mix and knead it, and too poor to buy a stand mixer or bread maker even if they could use one of those.

Reply to
Robin

Has been difficult to get for weeks in my area, especially the usual 17p for 2l bottles in Tesco - some premium brands around of course! Just read about shortages in the Grocer magazine - but that was dated 25th June, same shortages nearly two months later…

Reply to
AVB

I recently saw a statement from a group of supermarkets. They said the problem was the shortage of drivers, which means they have to prioritised what goes on the lorries. Sparking drinks are not a high priority, so only get on if there is space left after putting higher priority items on the lorry.

Reply to
nightjar