Water shortage

In the areas being supplied by tanker is the bottled water supply free ?

Reply to
fred

I'd imagine it was, as back in the day we had water this way, and we all got a crate of it a day. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

no idea but the Gorbols reservoirs near Largs are full to bursting......want to buy some?

Jim Stewart ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

The Chinese have a solution:

Fredxx

About ten years ago, it was muted that we should have a water national grid, but the cost was going to be very high, and those places where there was lots of water, people mumbled about using the norths water to keep those southerners alive or somesuch.

Exactly how expensive is it to de salinised sea water? OK I know it can taste, well, tasteless but its still water. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My mum did her medical degree in Glasgow, and she then became a gynaecologist and went round the Gorbals delivering babies during the blitz. She said that Glaswegians were lovely people, but it never seemed to stop raining. So, yes, you're probably the last place in the UK with loads of water. :)

Reply to
GB

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Very. We have at least one in most of our southern capital citys.

Very expensive to run too, massive users of electricity.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Glaswegians are a bunch of scumbags ,,,,

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

ISTR Kielder Dam also pours away more water a day that could have gone south.

A real country would have built a north-> south water spine decades ago. because the plan B of not encouraging people to live in the north hasn't worked.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

And the Russians just diverted the waters before they reached the Aral Sea.

Reply to
alan_m

We could use all that free wind energy in the desalination plants. It possibly would help if global warming gave us 40C temperatures every day.

Reply to
alan_m

Very. Some of the Gulf states do it IIRC. Either done by distillation or reverse osmosis. The former requires lots of energy to heat the water, although some of it is presumably recoverable, and the latter requires lots of energy to pressurise the pumps, but I don't know how much of it is recoverable, if any. And of course energy is getting more expensive by the minute. OK if you're an Arab Sheik sitting on massive reserves of oil and gas that you might otherwise flare off, but not OK for the rest of us.

Chris Hogg

That's not true. Sometimes it snows.

So, yes, you're probably the last place in the UK with

Reply to
Colin Bignell

It depends upon the cost of electricity. In the gulf states, where it is cheap, around USD 0.5 per cubic metre. In Australia, around USD 1.5 per cubic metre. Both as at 2018 and are the cost to the supplier, so not easily compared to what we, as consumers, get charged for water in the UK.

Generally, it is considered only worthwhile if electricity is cheap or, like Malta, there is no alternative.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

And Vozrozhdeniya Island is no longer an island…

☣️⚠️Trigger warning ☣️⚠️

Mentions bioweapon research

Reply to
Spike

As a result of which the Aral Sea has essentially dried up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Its very doable with a coastalo sited nuke that will anyway be producing gallons of pretty hot seawater. Just blow air over it and into a condenser in the sea.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

plus they don't wash ....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

The Israelis seem to do de-salination very effectively.

Reply to
Andrew