Self Preservation

There’s growing evidence that regular exposure to man-made “forever” chemicals, which are used in a variety of household products, are linked to rising cancer rates.

A new study that examined the correlation between liver cancer and the presence of these chemicals in humans found that people with the highest levels of exposure have 350% greater odds of eventually developing the disease.

The term “forever” chemicals refers to the more than 4,700 available types of perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS, used widely across manufacturing industries — named as such because the substances degrade very slowly and build up over time, in soil, drinking water and in the body.

PFAS were first introduced in the 1930s as a revolutionary material used in the creation of nonstick cookware — hello, Teflon — and soon adapted to all sorts of products and packaging — from construction materials to cosmetics — that benefit from its liquid- and fire-resistant properties, as noted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Reply to
jon

I'm just gonna let all these life threatening things compete with each other to kill me while I carry on living my life.

Reply to
Richard

It's a bit like saving money isn't it? You wonder how much time and effort to put in (waste?).

Reply to
R D S

And certain gasses we now know about in parts of the uK coming through rocks also have adverse health effects, and have had for a long time.

Its no good the world beating itself up over such things, just mitigate when you can.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"It will kill you after you are dead, so that's safe then."

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

What is the DIY angle here?

Citation? (peer reviewed journal preferrably)

Reply to
John Rumm

Before you worry about these risks, please confirm you have taken all sensible precautions:

BMI is in the range 18-20

5 sessions of high energy exercise a week, plus strength exercising twice a week. 10 portions of fruit and veg a day. High fibre diet. No smoking. Alcohol under 5 units a week.

Once you have all that stuff out of the way, let's talk about the de minimis risks, like forever chemicals. These definitely are a potential problem, but they are lost in the noise compared to the points above.

Reply to
GB

I have no real doubt that there are carcinogens being released. However, in nearly all cases, their effect is vastly less than factors such as BMI that are in the control of individuals.

Reply to
GB

Oi! If ever a post should have come with a trigger warning...

Reply to
Robin

You may not actually live longer, but it will certainly seem like it :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm sitting here with a whisky and a beer chaser....

My father was a decidedly overweight GP (who lived to well into his eighties) and had to advise his patients to lose weight. "Do as I say, not as I do." :)

Reply to
GB

But you don't get to have a beer or wine with every dinner. Fuck that.

So he didn't need to follow that stupid prescription of yours.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That should be: ... *is* linked to rising ...

Reply to
Tim Streater

This is the University of Life - no trigger warnings here :-)

Reply to
Spike

None - it is spammed across almost all newsgroups.

There is a new study out that says that the damn things are everywhere and some at least are potential (or known) carcinogens. OTOH they are so very unreactive that the majority are probably benign but detectable.

A slightly less breathless panic mode take on it from the RSC here:

I suspect they are being a bit optimistic about how easy it will be to get rid of them. They were incredibly amazing compounds.

Some of them are so inert and would absorb enough oxygen from the atmosphere to allow a rat to breathe a liquid instead of air. (shades of UFO from the 1970's)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Ta, that was quite interesting :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I got 4 and a half, and I must finish that rum, it won't keep forever :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris