Lidl LED uplighter went 'pop'

We have a lamp from Lidl, father and child or summat, LED. It has a 24v transformer plug, the missus switched it on yesterday and it made an audible 'pop' and now it doesn't work. The transformer is sealed, is there any point me cracking it open? Do these things have fuses or the like?

I don't know about anyone else but everything i've bought from Lidl that has been electrical/electronic has been s**te.

Reply to
R D S

yesterday and

Aldi stuff seems OK. B-)

Retrieve reciept. Take item and reciept to Lidl. Get refund.

Though the OP doesn't say how old this lamp is.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Most of the power tools in my workshop came from Lidl and are still working fine after up to 15 years.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Wallwarts are nearly all made in China and are of dubious quality either making horrendous RF interference or falling to bits or going pop and often emitting magic smoke.

You might get more success if rather than slagging off the vendors, you contacted them and told them about the issue, often they will replace the items and also take the old one back. I do recall some years ago one retailer who alerted the manufacturer of a dodgy component which could have been dangerous, as it was reported on a TV program. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Bout 2 months. I'm not great at keeping receipts.

Reply to
R D S

You might not need the receipt. Many of Lidl and Aldi's lines are only available from them and both don't make a fuss about returns anyway.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Firstly - what is the lamp valued at? Not necessarily in cash terms. Is it worth the effort repairing it or can it be replaced for less than an hours labour? Alas that is the problem these days. I would attempt to repair/replace the PSU and/or see if I could bodge a different LED/lamp/bulb in there.

Reply to
Kellerman

You do need them with Lidl - especially for their three year warranty. Get a folder or whatever and pop all the ones for things with a warranty into it. That way, you can be sure they'll never fail...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't think you'll find many will agree with you there. I've got loads of such stuff from Lidl, and it's generally very good, especially at the price. Not many other retailers give a three year warranty.

But if you've found it s**te, why buy from them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We keep every receipt, then about once a year, go through them and throw away all the supermarket, butcher, baker, bird food etc ones. We know that we have any receipt that might be needed for warranty or return purposes.

Reply to
Davey

I've had electric fires go faulty/noisy. Electronic scales pack in, a shower head thing that the chrome peeled off, a level that wasn't. Fair play though they have a decent warranty and replace/refund without hassle when i've had the wit to keep the receipt.

I wouldn't have thought you could go far wrong with a lamp. I was thinking it was just a plug end, a cable and a bulb. I wasn't mindful that it would have a transformer as I didn't register is was LED until I found myself wondering why it had no dimmer.

I have a bag of old laptop and such power packs so I should be find something to coddle it with.

Reply to
R D S

replying to R D S, charlesfitzgerald wrote: Generally Lidl have a no quibble money back guarantee. Bring it back.

Reply to
charlesfitzgerald

What a whole 11 months after the event ????. I bet they will laugh at you. Read the dates of the post you are replying to and

*stop* using homeownershub to access a newsgroup. get some proper software for your PC.
Reply to
Andrew