Lidl Compressor

Lidl have this compressor http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_13876.htm on offer at 80 next Thursday.
Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly) equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].
I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.
How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?
--
Cheers,
Roger

An air compressor? Me.

Very. Another one of those "how did I manage without this" tools.
Mine looks very similar to the Lidl one.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 34th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3176
Open are the double doors of the horizon, unlock'd are its bolts

what have you done/managed to do/failed to do with it?
Cheers Jim K

And me (4 actually).
I've a 50l / 15cfm jobby when I really need some air and don't mind the noise and a Bambi / Wolf 25l / 2cfm hybrid that is virtually silent when I need a bit of air and want it without the need for earplugs (or it's late).
Then I have the lightweight oil-free portable (240V) jobby that is handy for blowing the dust out of stuff and tire inflation and a similar pump on a 25l reservoir that the daughter uses up in Scotland, mainly for the blowgun and tyre inflator.
Very handy when used with a rattle gun, air gun and tyre inflator.
Cheers, T i m

<AOL>
<AOL>
I now have three compressors. A large diesel-powered one for use on the farm, it's a 15cfm unit and it's essential for powering farm tools. I also have a compressor like the Lidl unit which I bought for use at home because I realised how much I missed using the air tools once I didn't have access to a compressor.
I don't know why, but I find my air drill and air chisel to be more "handy" than electric versions of the same tools.
<snip> : : I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks : like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'. :
Before anyone can answer your questions you need to tell us what you intend to do with the compressor, inflating your car tyres, using a nail gun or repainting a car or house all need different spec's of compressors...
--
Regards, Jerry.

On 10/09/2010 11:54, Jerry wrote:

The truth is that I don't really know! It may be the case of a solution looking for a problem - or a case of let's get one and see what I can do with it! Hence my request for other people's experiences.
I guess that primarily I would use it for inflating tyres and blowing dirt off things. I might get attachments such as a nail gun and/or impact driver - and possibly sand blaster. I don't expect to do much - if any - paint spraying.
--
Cheers,
Roger

. Always wear eye

Neighbor has a large compressor (twin cylinder job) recently had it running so his 5yr old son could play with air hose. No safety kit, not even any shoes on.
So he was happily blasting away stones, sand, water, cement dust etc. from his not yet laid drive .... does make you wonder how risky that is.
message : . Always wear eye : > protection is using a compressed air supply for blowing dirt : > off/out of things, the average elf and safety inspector frowns on : > such use for understandable reasons! : > -- : : : Neighbor has a large compressor (twin cylinder job) recently had it running : so his 5yr old son could play with air hose. : No safety kit, not even any shoes on. : : So he was happily blasting away stones, sand, water, cement dust etc. from : his not yet laid drive .... does make you wonder how risky that is. :
Proves how stupid some parents are, not only is there a risk from flying grit etc. but the very real danger that such a young kid could have ended up inflating parts of his own body - should the wrong sort of blower-gun be in use...
--
Regards, Jerry.

On 10/09/2010 14:34, Roger Mills wrote:

I love the idea of buying one of these for "blowing the dirt off things"... I fear SWMBO might require a little more justification than that... ;-)
David
On 10/09/2010 17:50, Lobster wrote:

Well it has to be said, that a blast of compressed air can shift crud that is otherwise hard to shift!
Tell her she can do the tyres on the car without having to go to the garage and do it under the watchful eye of a load of strange blokes!
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:18:56 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Tyres are about the only thing I need (as in need not would be nice to have) for compressed air and I have a heavy duty tyre inflator for that.
Blowing cack out of things might be useful but isn't a strong enough hook to hang a compressor on. My lungs work reasonably well, both methods just end up shoving the cack into the atmosphere though.
A driver for nuts could be handy now that I swap wheels between summer and winter. But the ordinary car supplied wrench is good enough with a torque wrench. Now a driver that you could set the torque would be good.
Still not a very strong hook...
--
Cheers
Dave.

message
<snip> : : Still not a very strong hook... :
I can tell you, having access to air tools is a "How did I manage before" moment and when you can't have access to air tools you realise just how much of a bummer it is without - in the same way that it's quite possible to live without the electric drill but how many would chose to?!...
--
Regards, Jerry.

On 10/09/2010 21:29, Jerry wrote:

I'm sure you're right! For the sake of the un-initiated (like me!) would you care to elaborate on the advantages of air tools over electrically-driven equivalents?
--
Cheers,
Roger
: On 10/09/2010 21:29, Jerry wrote:
<snipped> : > : > I can tell you, having access to air tools is a "How did I manage : > before" moment <snip> : : I'm sure you're right! For the sake of the un-initiated (like me!) would : you care to elaborate on the advantages of air tools over : electrically-driven equivalents?
Usually tool weight, safety (carry on with that must do job even if you're working in a monsoon), ease of use and - even these days - the availability of suitably spec'ed tools, to name the most common.
--
Regards, Jerry.

Innuendo aside,and apoologies for hijacking the thread, but Northern Tool is most certainly not a Northern company, no matter what its origins and the original reason for the name.
One of the nasties, in fact, which makes a point of refusing to deliver to the Northern half of the UK except at the most punitive of rates, even for northern mainland deliveries. Northern Tool may not be the worst at concealing the charge, but they certainly pile on the freight charges worse than most -- often at the rate of 50-100% of the cost of the goods.
I never have worked out exactly how it can be legal for some companies to exclude from their definition of "UK Mainland" an area which is the size of Belgium. Either it's mainland or it's not mainland. Lies don't help or change facts. And who wants to trust companies who aren't honest or truthful with regard to carriage charges? My quarrel is not with the right of companies to restrict the area within which they're prepared to trade, but rather with companies which distort the terms and conditions of trade in their catalogues and advertising material.
Rant over. Sorry for hijacking thread :-)

they're US based aren't they? Jules?

no probs - twas only my attempt at jest ;>)
I've never bought from them yet they send me crapalogues every now and then with ludicrous pricing annd shipping, (doubtless aimed at "corporates" and "council jobsworths" who believe themselves to be "worth it"; and/or to allow "sales" with fakey "discounts" (a la Draper) now and again).
Anyone have any good experiences with this lot ? wonder what their turnover is? annd who pays those eyewatering prices/delivery scams?
Cheers Jim K
In message

Westfalia always struck me as being one of the worst
--
geoff

saying something like:
<Northern Tool>

I bought a welder and compressor from them several years ago - the carriage cost to Ireland was very cheap, the prices were good, and the only flies in the ointment were the numpties at the warehouse who couldn't pack anything worth a shit. Might have changed since, of course.