Lidl Compressor

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 02:53:07 -0700 (PDT), Jim K

She was. She's a pensioner now. ;-(

T i m (a toy boy).

Reply to
T i m

Same here!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

: >

: > I can tell you, having access to air tools is a "How did I manage : > before" moment

: : I'm sure you're right! For the sake of the un-initiated (like me!) would : you care to elaborate on the advantages of air tools over : electrically-driven equivalents?

Usually tool weight, safety (carry on with that must do job even if you're working in a monsoon), ease of use and - even these days - the availability of suitably spec'ed tools, to name the most common.

Reply to
Jerry

: >

: > Innuendo aside,and apoologies for hijacking the thread, but Northern : > Tool is most certainly not a Northern company, no matter what its : > origins and the original reason for the name. : : they're US based aren't they? Jules?

That must be Portsmouth, New Hampshire then!

Reply to
Jerry

: >

: > And she has just paid my yearly Argoshield rental. ;-) : : : you sure she's a girl? :

Hmm, more like she knows were he will be - in his workshop! Why do you think the character Edie in "The Last of the Summer Wine" tolerated Wesley walking though her freshly cleaned house in oily boots and overalls!...

Reply to
Jerry

One of the problems in the UK is that the lightweight PU hoses that are available for agricultural work in the rest of Europe seem to be unknown here. I use my compressor in a large outdoor area with 30 metres of air hose, the hose isn't a PITA at all. But it would be if I had to use the heavy hoses that are common in the UK.

Well of course, he's a moron.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) saying something like:

That sounds like the kind of thing I've been looking for. I have the usual heavy hose, and a lightweight spiral piece of shit, which is barely acceptable for tyre use, but I can't find the decent spiral type at a sensible price. I take it you're referring to straight PU hose?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes, brilliant stuff, available with either quick-connect fittings or male screw thread each end.

As usual I can't find any Italian vendor on-line. I just go to my local hardware shop and ask for the stuff, it's reasonably priced. This appears to be the same tube without the fittings.

fittings can be bought separately and are easy to attach to cut lengths.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) saying something like:

Now to see what they charge for delivery...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Gentlemen please!

Most workshop compressors do not have wheels so a mini portable may have uses in places hard to access. I'm not sure if the diesel, road drill type, compressor is oil free which might be an issue for spraying, etc.

I haven't read the full thread but nobody has mentioned insurance and annual pressure vessel testing. D-I-Yers may escape but any commercial operation is vulnerable to the man with the clip board.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

I use Griflex. Flow/pressure is an issue on long pipe runs.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Don't you need a coalescing (god knows if that's spelt correctly!) filter to remove the water and that should remove the oil too.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Lamb saying something like:

Interestingly, I see the clear braided PVC is actually rated for airline use. I've often seen it used for that, but never trusted it, as it usually seems on the verge of bursting. I might take a toddle over to my nearest HGV breaker or workshop and see if there are any coiled trailer hoses going cheap/free. I think they often get chucked while there's still plenty of life in them for other uses.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Filter , usually combined with regulator and sometimes lubricator for air line tools in constant use

chisel is heck of lot lighter to handle than an SDS on tiles, air drill ditto for repetitive light drilling.

Forget DA sanders on small compressors.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I thought it (PVC) wasn't preferred over rubber because of how stiff it goes when cold?

I think I'd chuck them away when new! Two of my compressors came with orange 'plastic' spirally hoses and I stopped using them pretty well straight away as they were forever pulling the tool back and getting tangled up. I dare say there are good and bad examples etc.

I replaced the one on my little portable compressor with some very light and flexible high pressure fuel injection hose (black nitrile rubber) as it was rated at 145 psi (435 burst) and in keeping with that sort of role (the hose coils up like a mains lead).

I might treat myself to one of those recoiling wall mounted things, when I plumb in the workshop. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No -- it's the deal the retailer chooses to make with the couriers and the way they choose to advertise it.

Amazon, for example, cover the whole country, islands included, for the same price. Toolstation certainly deliver to the northern UK mainland, carriage free on an order of =A310. Screwfix at one point imposed punitive rates to the Northern Mainland but eventually saw sense and introduced standard rates in return for a higher minimum order.

And what on earth is "Highlands and Islands?" Or where, exactly, are they?

I've a friend who runs a business in China. Ornamental trees. He can ship them worldwide for a nominal charge. Great airfreight contract with DHL. Even ebay mailing with Royal Mail is less than you or I would pay over the counter. Even Argos can manage a pretty-equitable deal to the Outer Hebrides.

In any case, quite apart from the cost issue, what I object to is deceitfulness in the use of the term "UK Mainland" to mean something other than the mainland of the United Kingdom.

Reply to
John MacLeod

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod saying something like:

Exactly. A few years ago I had a 'phone conversation with a sales git from Screwfix who told me that Parcelforce didn't deliver to RoI. Funny that, as every other company I'd dealt with who sent their deliveries via PF, had them dropped off at this end by the Irish PO. I told her she was talking shit. A more honest way of putting it would have been that the deal they had with PF only covered the UK - that would have been fair enough. Even so, I was willing to pay the going rate for the items I wanted to be sent by normal delivery - not allowed, she said. What a crock of shit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I like your misleading use of the word "choose"

Unless you are really big, most couriers have similar T&Cs which you can accept or not

A sort of desert somewhere north of edinburgh defined by postcode

I don't really think that they are going to change

Reply to
geoff

Most doesn't mean all.

Desert? Ah well, by postcode I'm deemed to live in a place called Gaza :-)

Defined by postcode? Who does the defining? Why is it not consistent? What defines which postcodes should be included and which excluded?

Change what?

I reckon they should be compelled to change false definitions of UK Mainland.

Sometimes the worm does turn. I remember when Screwfix changed their carriage charges arguing with them that they were cutting of their noses to spite their faces -- they were losing significant orders because of their carriage charging policies -- even if they couldn't offer free carriage on a =A330 order to certain areas, they could almost certainly make money on a =A3100 order to the same area, even offering free carriage. Strangely enough, they eventually reorganised their carriage deal to do just that. OK, we don't expect suppliers necessarily to achieve next day delivery, so 48 hours is fine -- and they've now reduced the minimum to =A350. They can get back on to our "preferred suppliers" list! Wise move on their part -- I assume that they lost such a huge amount of business from areas which were previously good customers and very much doubt whether ours was the only business they lost :-).

The difficulty of transport is not nearly as great as is often made out.I'd an order in from Amazon last week -- ordered one morning and here the next. One of the couriers does two runs in the day to our area -- better than Royal Mail! Believe me, we know who the good ones are and who the inefficient ones are. Parcelforce are definitely the least efficient of the majors.

Reply to
John MacLeod

That would be why in another post you said, and here I quote;

"One of the more demanding uses for a compressor is to use an air/water gun for high pressure car washing. [..//..] I can only use the one I bought for washing the tractor with the largest compressor that I own."

: As usual...

...from you, Mr Firth, nothing but worthless trolling.

Reply to
Jerry