Lidl firework recall

In case anyone here has planned on a DIY fireworks display, and have already bought some from Lidl, one of their range "Aquila" has been recalled because "there is a risk of the firework exploding at ground level"

Toby

That page is mostly gobbledegook of foreign characters to me. I can remember some years ago, a Benwell rocket which claimed as it had fins that it would go nowhere but straight up, instead rose, looped the loop, then cam back to earth between the garage wall and the patio, and when we all got close to see if there was any damage, it blew up in a spectacular way, cracking the cement and we never did find the fins!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Isn't that what it's supposed to do?

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's because the main body of the page is a .jpg image.

I like the bit at the bottom that says "All other fireworks sold by Lidl UK do not pose a safety risk!" (their exclamation point).

Reply to
Graham.

I went in "J Mart" the other day. They are selling fireworks from China, some are monsters For =A390 you can get this thing that looks like an IED. You could definitely commit some sort of terrorist act using one. There must have been nine or ten pounds of explosive/gunpowder. I'm surprised no-one has thought of it and they are still selling them.

Reply to
harry

I expect it is supposed to eject a flare, that ten explodes in the air - maybe they packed some of them wrong so it explodes first, or maybe the cardboard is too thin and the whole lit just goes off in one go on the ground...

Reply to
Toby

Oh, I guess they feel that blind people wont be in need of the advice as they cant see the fireworks then.. grin

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hmm, well a few cable ties around the outside before you let them off should fix it then. I once remember when young a roman candle that had been packed upside down or something. It was lit and the first time it tried to shoot a pretty ball in the air, it launched itself out of the ground, then laid on its side spouting flame and half hearted blobs of colour in two directions. Vey sad.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I thought this had been banned as to be sold to those with certificates only from years ago. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its a pyrotechnic not an explosive, it burns very rapidly rather than detonates.

Which is what limits it`s effectiveness as a weapon of terror, some difference between a cannon and a howitzer..

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

In message , Graham. writes

Using

produced the following, with minor tidying up.

The company WECO Pyrotechnische Fabrik GmbH advises against the use of a fireworks battery called "Aquila" - production year2Ol2. This item is being recalled. This product must be returned to store for a full refund. Contact; WECO Pyrotechnische Fabrik GmbH Due to a production error there is a risk of the firework exploding at ground level, which could be a safety risk. As a result there is the risk of burns and / or other injuries to people in the vicinity. The product in question had been sold exclusively through Lidl UK and is labelled as follows; Date of notice; October 24, 2012

Manufacturing date; 2012 Manufacturer; WECO Pyrotechnische Fabrik GmbH Sales period; October I5, 2012 to October 24, 2Ol2

All other fireworks sold by Lidl UK do not pose a safety risk!

Reply to
Bill

Isn't gunpowder the same then - it burns quickly but explodes when confined?

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

yes, but its a fairly rubbish explosive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Giant fireworks. Dunno Brian but there they were. A large cabinet full of them.

Reply to
harry

It's all gun powder with added chemicals for the colours and binders. Just needs a metal case to transform it into a bomb. Bit of pipe for example. When I was a lad, all schoolboys knew how to make a bomb. You could borrow books out of the library that had diagrams and instructions. It was a common pastime. Kids today don't know what they're missing.

Reply to
harry

The Natural Philosopher wrote: [snip]

In the same way that a tree is a constituent of gunpowder. Stick to talking about subjects that you know about. The silence would be refreshing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

xxxxxxxxxx

Fingers?

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Amazon has it covered ,its even on topic :-) the DIY Gunpowder Cookbook

link is somewhat ominous though, seem to remember the remote gunpowder mixing room near Culzean Castle wasn`t the original....

one of the lesser known titles in the Home Workshop series:

this came up here recently

Adam Aglionby