Bow display case?

Has anyone ever built a hunting bow display case with work bench or seen one? I'm looking to build one for my father that has three re-curve bows. He needs a case/cabinet to store the bows and arrows, then a bench to work on the arrows. I could measure the bows then figure the cabinet size then just match the worktable to be 24" longer. But would love to get any ideas on this.

Thanks

James

Reply to
James

You can use broken cedar arrow shaft as pegs to store the bows on- a slight upwards angle maybe 15-20 deg? should keep a bow in place. For a nicer display, shaker style pegs hold a bow very well, and don't need to be angled at all. How about an upper case with glass doors, the three bows horizontally on pegs, about 3-4" apart. I'd leave room for another bow or two . Them archer types are almost as bad as woodworkers for collecting the 'tools of the trade'.

A double cabinet might work nicely- upper for display, the lower having a false drawer that opens to a bench top, with storage behind it for parts, etc. Arrow making doesn't require lots of depth for a work surface. The whole thing just needs to be wide enough for the bows, and maybe depth to fit a fletching jig, small parts cabinet, string making jig & materials (if he's into that too). I'd be tempted to turn a pair of deep boxes, mount on the sides for completed shafts.

Hope this triggers some other ideas too- Might want to do something similar myself.

vic

- btw: antler tines as pegs? might look nice in a rustic kinda way.

Reply to
Victor Radin

I think that if i was doing this project i would look in to the possibility of also making it a storage area (probably in the bottom) for all the extras that go with making arrows etc etc. You might consider making the workbench as a fold-out from the cabinet. I can see tho that with the storage of 3 bows and everything that this could be a quite sizeable project. I was in to bowhunting at one time and know that there is a lot more to store than just the bows. For plans i would look at a gun rack, knowing that it would have to be modified. If it didn't include a fold-out/roll-out work counter then i would look for one separately and then figure out how to marry them. Ken, makin dust in Nova Scotia

Reply to
ken

I was think a double cabinet at the top with small doors on the sides for arrows then glass doors in the center for the bows. Arrows vertical with arrow pads on the bottoms and holders long the sides then the bows horizontal in the center. I like the Arrow bow holders. The table would be about 20" deep with a series of small drawers under the cabinet. Then two file cabinet for storage of parts, tools, books, and magazines. Definite two long boxes for arrow shafts maybe in one of the lower cabinets. Nice swivel stool. Maple with walnut accents? He has rosewood bow that would really stand out in a maple cabinet.

Reply to
James