Lidl LED floodlight

I see Lidl are doing this LED floodlight for ?11.99 but they don't specify its output in lumens. Can anyone who has one say what it's brightness is (perhaps in terms of some other bulb).

I notice in the advert Lidl says it's 8.5W. However on the box and in the leaflet it says there are 12 LEDs each with 0.5W output and that comes to only 6W.

pamela

I'd expect it to be quite effective. I have a couple of five watt ones, one lighting a gateway and car parking area about 30 feet square, the other the doorway and approach to a shed. The latter is more than bright enough to sit under, reading a book. These are probably comparable to 8W CFLs.

Reply to
newshound

Or 2.5 W lost in the conversion of mains to what ever the the LEDS live off?

6 W gives 480 to 600 lumen noticeably less than a 60 W GLS. I think we have found out why the lumens aren't quoted isn't there (I thought it had to be these days...). It's also only IP44 so would really need a sheltered spot. For £12.00 one ought to be able to find something better both in terms of light output and IP rating.

We've got a 10 W COB LED, 900 l, IP65 jobbie, cost less than a tenner but it doesn't have the PIR(*). You don't need huge amounts of light at night, indeed too much and you can't see anything or anybody lurking outside the pool of illumination. This works well for the area where we park the cars and can still see outside the illuminated area.

(*) The PIR might what is bringing the IP rating dwon, holes to access the adjustments. There are a great many of these type out there, with a wide range of prices for essentially the same product. Read the descriptions carefully. Most if not all have stainless screws holding the fitting together but not all have stainless bolts for attaching the bracket to the fitting...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It might be closer to your lower value because you're using 8.5 W in your calculation and the LED lamp might actually be only 6 W.

A brightness equivalent to 40 W halogen isn't going to be enormous.

Those old PIR floodlights are too bright with their 300 or 500 W bulbs but this is right at the other end of the scale. 40 watt halogen is not much more than a courtesy light as opposed to a security light.

Maybe I'll look at some other unit.

Reply to
pamela

They didn't have IP ratings when I last bought a PIR floodlight many years ago. It's good to see them because some of the old cheap floodlights were extremely poorly made. Although the construction of the Lidl light seems better than average, it seems not to be built to a high IP spec.

So if I need to get better quality PIR floodlights, maybe I should also get some that all switch on together. I didn't know such things existed until I followed a link in the "Good PIRs?" thread a few days ago. The units there were a bit too pricey for me but maybe I'll find something cheaper.

This is the link from that thread:

pamela

In message , pamela writes

I bought a 30W version from Lidl it's rated at 32.5W , Yours is maybe less efficient.

It's specified at 2000 lumens, so assuming the same colour temperature you'll get 400 lumens. The conversion from watts to lumens is quite complicated. However someone's done an online calculator.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

If you're not in a rush, wait to see if the 30w ones they had a few months ago come back.

I replaced 300w halogens with them, and although not as bright, do the job reasonably. Not sure I'd be happy with much smaller ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Monster "60 watt" LED bulb

Adrian Caspersz

1.5W to control the PIR?
Reply to
ARW

2.5W due to fat fingers.
Reply to
ARW

Aren't both the 8.5 and 6 output figures?

So the loss you mention for the PIR shouldn't make any difference.

Reply to
pamela

My guess is that the lights have a load of 6W (ie the 12 x 0.5W you mentioned) and that the PIR draws an additional 2.5W load to control the lights.

So the total load when the light is on is 8.5W. This is made up of the 6W for the LEDs and 2.5W for the PIR.

There will be a background running load of 2.5W to control the PIR when the lights are not on.

Reply to
ARW

That would mean that, as Lidl are advertising this floodlight as 8.5 W, then if they used a less efficient PIR which required 10W then they could advertise the LED floodlight as 16 W. (10 W for the PIR and 6 W for the LED).

That doesn't seem a fair description.

Reply to
pamela

Well that is a fair description of all marketing collateral...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Buy one and carefully try it out. If not bright enough, take it back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you think that the design of a LED version is all wrong. Are they trying to use up the casings that were made for Halogen lights? The reflector serves little purpose with surface mounted LEDs. Someting properly disgned to maximise the LED source is needed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Unlikely they have a big pile of casings to use up.

Reply to
rngo

I've got the 30w ones they had on offer last year. The reflector on those certainly isn't just for show.

BTW, when does a floodlight cease to be a floodlight? Can't remember ever seeing a 60w tungsten called that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, you have a 30W LED as a point source. Therefore you need some sort of reflector.

Other LED floods have multiple LEDs spread around the surface of the fitting and have no reflector

eg

And why not? If the fitting is similar to to the SON floodlights we are familiar with I would still call it a floodlight even if it had a 60 tungsten in it!

Reply to
ARW

Perhaps it's just me but I expect a floodlight to flood the area with light. And a 10w LED ain't going to do that. The 30w ones don't really either, but are just about adequate. The old 300w halogen did.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)