Lidl folding knife, not wholly recommended

Lidl folding knife:

n=showDetail&id=2675

or

When these last became available (at 2.99) I was impressed with the sturdy build quality and bought a few to have around.

In use however I have found that the blade retention is poor, it turns out that the one touch blade change mechanism only operates on the top

0.5 to 1mm or so of the familiar utility blade retention slot so any use that pulls on the blade is likely to result in wear/damage to the retention mechanism and failure to retain the blade.

For that reason I can't recommend these to new users.

Reply to
fred

I am glad that I bought the Bessey version before I ever noticed the Lidl one. (Think there is another similar version as well.) I would recommend it so long as the format works for your usage. The semi-enclosed blade works well for many things, but sometimes it is a pain. (Of course, the more usual formats have their downsides as well.) Even then, I was warned in the shop to get the soft handle version - not the more attractive wood.

Reply to
polygonum

This one?

It looks as if it will have the right kind of blade retention, more expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for. I still use the lidls; car tool kit, homes I support and multiples about my own home (for those can't find moments) but I am aware of their limitations. It is a shame as the other mechanics are top notch, very sturdy.

Reply to
fred

Yes - that's the one. :-)

Paid less than that!

Reply to
polygonum

The Draper is similar, vulnerable to accidentally catching the blade release pin. But otherwise apparently robust and well made.

Reply to
newshound

I bought my Lidl knife a few years ago and it's been given some hard use since. Not a problem to it, at all. Could be simple batch problems or a change of supplier.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon