Cheap SDS Drill

I've had occasion to use one for a while, and now I've got some plug sockets to fit, light switches to rebate, and possibly a couple of holes to make in a 9" brick solid wall to fit extractors. Would this week's Lidl offering be up to the job:

(strange link - drill in question is listed in Lidl's 'DIY Helpers' section this week)

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
RJH

Generally, Lidl power tools are very much at the better end of the budget market. And with a three year warranty, you can't go wrong. Just make sure you keep the receipt.

It doesn't seem to give the weight of the tool. For wall chasing etc this can be important - some of the cheapies are considerably heavier than ideal for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it is the same as the one they were selling, umm, a couple of years ago, it works very well. Suitably misused and chucked in the shed.

Main dislike (which is common to most SDS) is that the overall length from back of drill to tip of bit (even when using the shortest bits), is rather longer than I care for. Only really a problem in confined locations.

I have not used anything larger than about a one inch bit or a wide chisel - not sure what it would be like with a core drill of any sort - but if you are doing multiple small holes and knocking out, it would be fine.

Reply to
polygonum