electrical experts please

I wish to remotely control a 3 phase machine. Will this

do the job.

Reply to
fred

Whoops

This is what I was referring to

fred

fred expressed precisely :

On its own, no!

It also depends what sort of control is needed of the machine and any safety implications if the remote fails to respond.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Impossible to say since it says nothing about what it talks at the far end

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You probably want to start with a 3 phase contactor and drive THAT from one of these remotes...

...could be driven by a simple mains switching remote.

I'd put a damn great red button break in series with it tho for when the remote doesn't work... Harry has a very good point!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is also the issue of how far away you want to be. I have 13 amp sockets which I can control using a mobile phone. The sockets use wifi to connect to my broadband router.

Reply to
Michael Chare

As the others said, it won't control a three phase load directly since its intended as a light switch it will be only switching one pole, and you need three or four (depending on if your three phase machine has a neutral or not), and also it will have very limited current switching capability (and that might be even more limited when switching inductive loads like motors).

You could use it to remotely switch a three phase contactor or possibly even a variable frequency drive.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which al goes to prove I know f/a about electricals

This is where I started

He is an aussie so alarm bells ring

This is the relay he is using

and this the remote

Its to be used as remote control for this

It all looks pukka but the as I say I know precious little about electricals

Opinions please

Reply to
fred

Yes you would need a relay, but surely if you are going to actually use this machine, would not somebody be operating its other functions, you need an NC machine to be able to do all the adjustments remotely. I cannot think of any reason for doing this unless you are machining something radioactive or toxic like beryllium or plutonium! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Can't see that...

That's a direct online starter - so it combines switching, usually with no-volt release, and overload protection (although the overload protection could well have its own enclosure).

Not having seen the documentation for it, its hard to know if it also supports remote switching. If it does then that might be ideal.

IIUC that model is available with the choice of single or three phase motor.

Reply to
John Rumm

It should do. The green button is a push to make spring loaded switch. There are usually terminals available for remote switching (I know it says remote switching on the diagram but that would apply to the green button on the DOL.

Note the hold on contactor in the diagram.

and how the red stop switch (locks when you press it and needs a manual turn to reset it) will kill the power even if the green button is pressed.

Reply to
ARW

Sorry it also says switch as well as remote switching.

Remote starts in parallel and remote stops in series.

Reply to
ARW