Plasterboard paper surface peeling

Hi all,

I have some internal stud/plasterboard walls, the paper is peeling away from the plasterboard at the joins in some areas. It's quite thick due to the number of coats of paint, so I can't just glue it down, it will quickly peel away again.

What to do?

Reply to
Scion

Don't recognise this problem. Do you mean wallpaper or lining paper, or the outer layer of "card" in the plasterboard sandwich?

Reply to
newshound

Don't think the plasterboard is papered over, it's the layer of paper on the plasterboard that is peeling.

Reply to
Scion

The only options really are

  1. glue it back, maybe while leaning something against it. Wallpaper paste softens paper well.
  2. Rip it off
  3. Skim plaster over it all.
  4. Fit lining paper.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sounds like you have some sort of damp problem. Condensation maybe. Interstitial condensation?

harry

it should have been reinforced with glass tappe.

All you cam do is remove the skim and tape the joint and re skim it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd go for ripping off the loose flap, sandpaper to give a smooth feathered hole, fill with lightweight filler, then maybe lining paper (again ripped to feather it) prior to light sand and repaint.

Reply to
newshound

If its stable underneath, yes.

I assumed it wasnt

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed. I'd assumed they could get back to something "solid". As I said in my original response I found it hard to understand how this condition had arisen (damp and movement being obvious possible causes).

Reply to
newshound

Still not an answer, is it the card that is stuck to the plaster? our plasterboard does not have paper,just the layer of card, if this is peeling back it can not be stuck back and you must cut affected stuff out and feather and skim with finishing compound.

Reply to
FMurtz

Carefully peel off the paper leaving a feathered edge. Paint the plaster with diluted PVA, several coats getting less dilute. Stick on lining paper (or even newspaper) with PVA (Several layers) When dry sand down, adding paper layers as necessary or filler.

Reply to
harry

usually it won't

you only get 1 go with pva. After that the pores are clogged. Slosh loads of very dilute pva on if the plaster is crumbly, but only once. No need otherwise. Skip the strong layer, it'll just make things not stick

wallpaper paste is much better

you can't sand paper, use filler.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You only glue the centre of one layer of lining paper and then you feather it by tearing the edges back towards the centre when its dry. Then you can sand it and fill it as needed.

Does nobody in this group DIY decorate any more?

Reply to
dennis

Partway through decorating the hall, stairs and landing at the moment. Somewhat slowed by having to replace the hall ceiling due to a previous leak and taking the opportunity to run network and satellite cables to upstairs while I have access; put new phone and power sockets in the hall; relocate the wired buglar alarm control panel under the floor (it has remote keypads); replace the gas cupboard door; repair damaged plasterwork; bury the thermostat's wiring; tidy the radiator plumbing; replace the underlay that is breaking up (not replaced when the carpet was changed some years ago); re-fit the PVC around the front door, etc.

I've just thrown out the old underlay, in preparation for painting the woodwork on the stairs.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Doesn't leave a good surface. You can't sand paper, try it & see.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Been doing it for decades. Not any more though.

Reply to
dennis