The end of Windows 7

OK so we listened to the news, read the discussion on 10 upgrade but how to explain this mornings 250mB update?
More seriously, is W7 32 bit going to sensibly change to W10?

--
Tim Lamb

On 15/01/2020 10:20, Tim Lamb wrote:

It is still yesterday in Microsoft land.
Tim Lamb wrote:

The only update I see for win7 this year is a dotnet update.
Whether yesterday's crypto vulnerability is seen as serious enough that they do fix it in win7, or whether they'll use it as a big lever to tell joe public to move to win10 will be interesting ...

I've updated a couple of dozen machines 7->10 in the last year, most of them got a HD->SSD upgrade at the same time, so the original disk was there as a backup in case of issues, but was never needed. they were all allowed to upgrade for free, despite the official free offer being long gone.
Yes my only issue with windows 10 is that they have a forced policy of making some software like Outlook Express not work and trashing it, If they had offered a paid for copy of Outlook with data and account transfer, I'd go with it as at every new version of windows 10 it trashes it again even though the damn thing works with just a few tweaks far better than the crappy windows email client does, which has no filters and no newsgroup support and keeps on crashing. Microsoft could very easily have modified Outlook express with extra security and satisfied Google and left things alone I'd have thought for a lot less cost than designing a rubbish replacement, and don't even get me started on what they have done to Skype. Brian
--
----- --

Outlook express has not worked since win 7 (at least not without manually installing the missing DLLs it requires)

They do have a paid for version of outlook... (in fact all versions of outlook are paid for). Outlook 2007 or higher works with all versions of windows from the last decade or more.

--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

But it doesn't do usenet.
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:04:55 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

The irony is that, apparently, the vulnerability isn't there in Windows 7.
Bob Eager wrote:

I thought it would turn out that win7 and earlier *would* be affected, but apparently not ...
    Windows 8.1 and prior, as well as the Server 2012 R2 and prior     counterparts, do not support ECC keys with parameters. For this     reason, such certificates that attempt to exploit this     vulnerability are inherently untrusted by older Windows     versions.
<https://kb.cert.org/vuls/id/849224/

Win7 is just about useable if you turn off all the bling. Win10 is shite by comparison. Fortunately I don't use either for any real work.
--
The reason you think government is the solution is because you think freedom is
the problem. But the truth is that government ensures that the most evil,

And a further 3.9 meg. update this morning.
--
Tim Lamb

On 16/01/2020 09:41, Tim Lamb wrote:

And a full screen NAG about no more protection on Wednesday morning just before I switched to Win 10.
On 15/01/2020 11:04, Andy Burns wrote:

How do you do that? I also want to upgrade Win7->10 as a clean install on a new SSD.
How does the "allowed to upgrade for free" work?
On 15/01/2020 18:08, JoeJoe wrote:

According to this https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 "a [win 10] license is required".
JoeJoe wrote:

theoretically correct, in practice never known a machine that starts with a valid Win7 licence to need to buy a win10 licence, no guarantee of course.
On 15/01/2020 18:19, Andy Burns wrote:

Wasn't there a get around anyway after the free update period ended - stating that you needed to use assistive technologies?
SteveW
On 15/01/2020 18:13, JoeJoe wrote:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkIDy9445
That will download Windows10Upgrade9252.exe
MD5 Hash: AE21A2989E1EF2EABA2F35EB21DF7EF5
That will update a valid Win7 installation to Win10. Once 10 is installed and verified it will keeps a digital licence on its servers for your specific hardware.
If you want a clean install just install from a Win10 ISO after that and it should be automatically licensed.
On 15/01/2020 18:13, JoeJoe wrote:

Go here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
Download the media creation tool and run it.
Select "upgrade this PC" during the process.

It will accept a win 7 or win 8 license, or take an installed and licenced version of them as a valid starting point.
Why this is still the case after the official free upgrade period ended I don't know. It could be they had to leave scope for any that upgraded from earlier versions to be able to re-install, or perhaps as they are moving to an OS "as a service" rather than a product, it makes sense to give away the razor, and make money on the blades.
--
Cheers,

John.
JoeJoe wrote:

Didn't do them as clean installs, cloned HD->SSD (reducing partition size if required) removed HD and stuck on shelf, then perform a win10 upgrade install in-place over win7, using ISO or USB stick generated by the Microsoft media creation tool. Later put the HD back in and reformat as D: drive.

It's just down to Microsoft not really checking, so you get away with it, these were all machines with "good" win7 pro licences to start with.
On 15/01/2020 18:16, Andy Burns wrote:

Thanks, worth a shot as all my machines have legit Win 7 licences.
Is there a downside to an upgrade, rather than a clean install?