The end of Windows 7

I have a Win7 VM. Haven't used it for over a year.

The "killer app" for Linux would be an equivalent for Outlook. That would allow 70% of business users of Windows to switch with nary a whisper. It's the alpha and omega of business use.

The total swerve given by the Linux community to such a project tells me all I need to know about where it's headed.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

I plan to ask you to look at the hp probook anyway.

Apart from Turnpike, most of my stuff is either open source or related to the printer.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Did for me at 9AM today. W7 Pro/32 now W10 Pro /32.

Now Iam struggling to change the appearance back to Win 7.

How do we change the fints used for text used in all the windows, like the one I am typing this into ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew
<snip>

Why do you have it in the first place though?

<snip>

Whist I've always been happy with Thunderbird (or Netscape Communicator before that (was it?)), I agree re the requirement for Outlook by many.

That and MS Office.

(IF you are talking Linux) ... On the same old 'minority interest' 5% path it's been on for years.

And that's a big shame. I say that who has the choice of Windows and Linux (typically Mint) dual-boot across and range of machines and it's always what it can't do, over what it can / does do (and often pretty well) that is the problem for many.

My Multi-Boot pen drive has several Lini (32/64 bit, MATE / Cinnamon etc) and W10 (32/64).

I can't think how many Linux boot DVD's I've given away and the frustration I have when someone calls me with a Windows issue that I could help them with remotely (over the phone) if they used Linux the Linux DVD but hear they have thrown it away because they didn't want / like it?

ITRW it's because they don't *understand* what an OS is and how different ones can do different things and do some of them better.

Like, you can boot from a Linux DVD and actually get online (in many cases these days) and just doing that is a good test of the general hardware. And it's not like Mint has too different a UI to most Windows either.

Someone I know (I'm loath to call him 'a mate' these days) had a problem with the W10 I installed for him (for nothing, it was a hardware issue) so, because I couldn't get there that day, thought he's have a go at fixing it himself and overwrote W10 with W95!!!!

He actually could find one of the Linux DVD's I'd previously given him, he was able to boot from it and get online ... and do all he needed on it (from the Live instance) but still didn't want to install it over the W95 (so bought another PC instead). <shrug>

From that point on I've left him to it. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's a thunderbird setting, not windows

Reply to
Andy Burns

I tried to use Heat Loss manager 1998 on Win10 Pro/32 earlier, and it said I needed to install NTVDM. Maybe I'll try that later ..

Reply to
Andrew

I just clicked on the 'DownLoad Windows 10 Now' on the Microsoft site and chose 'Update this PC now' and left it to do its business for a couple of hours.

Reply to
Andrew

I had to add more space to my C drive (disk partitioned into C,D,E,F), where most apps are on D: and followed the advice to use GParted.

This turned out to be a Linux utility, and it reminded me why I don't want Linus again !. I used the singleprocessor option.

Took AGES to move the E partition to the right, shrinking it in the process, then move the D partition right into the vacated space so another 50Mb could be added to C:.

Reply to
Andrew

I doubt that is true, fewer people buy desktops now and those that do are unlikely to need 32 bit as their priority.

Then there's those desktop users runing Mac OS.

Our 96 lab PCs dual boot W10 and CentOS.

The needs of the many.....

Linux dosn;t normally take up loads of disk space in he scheme of things if I could I'd 'hide' it.

True for most people, here at uni thre;s still a lot of interest and usage of a linux system.

Yes seems to be the case then there's Mac users.

True but then again there's not much money to be made from free systems.

Reply to
whisky-dave
<snip>

Recently?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Indeed. I was given an ancient CD with a load of aacdemic papers from a journal. I wanted about 20 of them, and the download cost was prohibitive.

I was running Windows 7 64-bit, and the thing had a 16 bit installer. I spun up an XP VM and did it that way. The printing was a further problem; it produced minuscule page images, so I had to hack the PostScript output too!

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's a hangover from when I used to test stuff for work

So what happens. Does Thunderbird get maintained and made to work like Outlook. No. It's dumped. Meaning Linux has no reliable integrated email/ calendar/MS Exchange program.

The LibreOffice stuff is serviceable and in the right arena. But the problem is Outlook is installed before any of that. It's the very first building block in a standard office build PC.

I really haven't needed Windows since I started with Mint myself

I finally got around to a boot image which has SSH enabled by default (I still can't quite work out why there isn't one as standard). It's a godsend for plug-boot-fix. Yes, you need the command line (much like Microsoft have just invented) but that shouldn't scare a geek.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I used that page and downloaded ISO images last week.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Arsing around with partitions can be lengthy - not sure you can blame Linux. Also you said "G" parted, which is the GNOME GUI version and just a front end to Parted ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Scrub that! It has W 7 home premium and I couldn't find the RAM size.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

True. However for applications like these, just install a 32 bit version of Win 7 in virualbox or similar, and run them in there.

Don't think any of the 64 bit platforms support 16 bit, and most Win 7 systems out there are likely to be 64 bit.

Is their current system 32 bit?

Reply to
John Rumm

I did it a couple of hours ago...

Reply to
John Rumm

or many of your applications...

and out there in the real world there are vendors of semi web based CRM systems that still only offer full functionality in IE. "So move to a different vendor" you cry, which of course is fine - but many will then want you to stump of £20k+ to migrate the data from their competitor's system.

Reply to
John Rumm

Mypal is still suported for winxp its a fork of firefox/pale moon

-
Reply to
Mark

Mark <Mark@127.0.0.1> posted

That's useful to know, though it doesn't explain why it is better than Pale Moon, which I already use, but which doesn't work with some websites (notably home banking ones).

How can I tell which version to download, x86 or x64?

Reply to
Maxwell Boltzmann