Moving a dryer - OK to lay it on the side or back?

I am moving a gas dryer and was curious if they're OK to lay on their sides or back. Any problems with the bearing, etc?

Reply to
bryan

it's fine. can't imagine why though, they take up less space standing up proper.

Steve Barker DLT

I wouldn't. Check the mfg. web site. Maybe they have moving directions in the manual.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

Sure, but why bother? It's more trouble, and takes up more space. Plus, if you lay it on its side, you may scratch up the enamel finish too. What would be the point?

Reply to
Doug Miller

depending on how old is the dryer i would either move it ( in upward or sideways position - doesn't really matter) or not even bother moving it; we moved 3 yrs. old electric dryer last year to a new house; it quit after few more uses ----- heating elements simply fell apart.........

Reply to
daszkiew2000

Best answer = check the manual for moving instructions. Thanks! I will do that, that's probably the best way to start.

Anyway, here are the details

We're moving it in a 2002 VW Golf, which can accommodate a 30x30x48 inch dryer lying down. Not everyone has access to a truck.

Does anyone know anything specific that will hurt a GAS dryer if I lie it down? I can lay it on the side or back.

Reply to
bryan

It's just a question of whether any internal parts are partially held in place by gravity. Those could start moving around once the dryer is laid on its side. If you have any of these they might go right back into place when the dryer is turned back upright or they might not. In addition, if anything moves around it might damage itself or other components while doing so.

I would try gently tilting the unit and listen (feel) for any shifting. My guess is that you will be fine. The drum in particular might move around a bit, but that is largely dependent on how long the drive is and how rough the roads.

I would be more worried about a washer than a dryer as dryers just aren't that heavy.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Some of the dry may leak out. Other than that, no concerns.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

you gonna put the washer and all the furniture in the Golf also???? Jeeeeze.... spend $15 and rent a truck. Someone youknow has one . i guarantee it.

Steve Barker DLT

It's a simple question, people. Don't assume things you don't know.

Reply to
bryan

replying to bryan, Lori wrote: Is it ok to lay a front load dryer on back to transport on truck

Reply to
Lori

I'm sure the OP figured that out -- way back in 2008! Pay attention people.

Reply to
Father Time

some people have SUV's not trucks to transport them in so this is why you would lay them on their side

Reply to
Amber Sheffield

13 years ago, I'm gonna guess they figured it out, though, I could be wrong.
Reply to
Hawk

Yes, they did. Instead of laying it down they borrowed a Radio Flyer wagon from the kid next door and put the dryer on that. Took a while to haul it the 35 miles home but it was in good shape when they got there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That reminds me and makes me laugh. I have one of those Gorilla yard carts with 10-inch pneumatic tires. It's very handy for yard work but they saw fit to include a sticker that says, "Not suitable for highway use." Really? I wonder how many people tied those wagons to their rear bumpers before the company realized they needed to add a warning.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I have a strong hunch some idiot actually tried that, hence the reason for the label.

It's become evident many warning labels are required due to the idiots who have actually attempted using a product not intended for it's purpose and tried suing the company when it failed to hold up or caused injury.

Reply to
Hawk

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 05 Feb 2021 15:27:03 -0600, Jim Joyce snipped-for-privacy@none.invalid wrote:

ROTFL Can't be too careful.

My favorite was a Superman costume with the warning, Caution, Cape will not enable the wearer to fly.

I've reached my limit of 4 for Forbes and it doesn't appear to reset at the start of the month. But there is still my other web browwer. I feel so sneaky.
"In the early years of the tort explosion, plaintiffs and their lawyers won large verdicts by proving that manufacturers sold products they knew or should have known were unsafe: cars that burst into flames; birth control devices that left women sterile; asbestos that caused cancer. Now that those avenues for recovery are more limited, trial lawyers have asserted claims that their clients were injured because product makers failed to warn against the predictable misuse of their products. ''It's become a joke,'' said Aaron Locker, general counsel to the Toy Manufacturers of America. ''Regulators say that warning is the least effective way to protect kids; most people don't read the warnings anyway. But this is what we've come to in a highly litigious society which permits litigation like this without restraint.'' .....The warning sticker on an aluminum stepladder is nearly a foot long, inveighing against nearly every conceivable danger. The 21-point label warns of the danger of electrocution, of falls, of placing a ladder in front of an unlocked door, of using a ladder when not in good physical condition. Item 17: Do Not Overreach. .....Mr. Schwartz said he advised companies that a useful warning must accomplish three things: Get the user's attention, describe the danger in vivid terms and give specific instructions on how to avoid injury.

He cited the example of the aerosol propellant 1,1,1 trichloroethane, which was used in spray cans of household cleaners. In the early 1980's, teen-agers discovered they could get high by spraying the cleaner into a plastic bag and breathing the propellant fumes.

The label on the can clearly warned of death or serious injury if the product was inhaled, Mr. Schwartz said, but some young people ignored it, leading to at least one death. The company wanted to make the warning larger, but Mr. Schwartz argued against it, saying that teen-agers would then assume that there was more of the propellant in the product.

''What do kids worry about more than death or injury?'' Mr. Schwartz asked his clients. ''How they look, of course. So we wrote the warning to say that sniffing the stuff could cause hair loss or facial disfigurement. It doesn't, but it scared the target audience and we haven't had a liability claim since then.''

''That's why,'' he added, ''I'm paid $370 an hour.''"

micky

step of the instructions tells you not to change the belt while the engine is running.

----------

ways to "beat the heat." "No. 1. Stay out of the direct rays of the sun."

---------- Found on the inside of a pull top lid of a liquid radiator sealant: "Caution: DO NOT LICK LID"

---------- written on the back of one of those things you put in your car windshield on sunny days when you park to keep your dash from melting: DO NOT OPERATE VEHICLE WITH SCREEN IN PLACE

---------- ....And my favorite warning appears on a box of those cloth roller towels in restrooms. It says something like: Warning! Improper use may cause serious injury or death!

something to do with Delaware.

Reply to
micky

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 18:35:23 -0500, Hawk posted for all of us to digest...

I was going to buy one of those but I saw it didn't have a trailer hitch or lights. Maybe the option package?

Reply to
Tekkie©