Moving a gas dryer about 20 feet

Hi,

I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the flexible part is allowed to be?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Can you use 6" PVC? The smooth innards will present less resistance to the fuzz.

Reply to
HeyBub

Are you talking gas supply line or exhaust line? Not sure of what code is-- but I don't think I'd want 20' of flimsy flex tubing for a gas line in the house where my wife and kids slept....

Reply to
Flatus Johnson

Use smooth metal tubing and use metallic tape to cover all the inside seams and joints. Flexible pipe creates turbulance and will more likely catch lint. Flex vinyl tubes should not be used for a dryer vent.

Reply to
Phisherman

i replaced a section of that supposedly flamable plastic exhaust line when replacing a friends dryer.

took it out on the driveway and attempted to set fire to a small piece first using a lighter, it just turned brown.

then tried my propane torch, it didnt light either.

i expected a ball of fire, all it did was turn brown

Reply to
hallerb

thats about right.... you can extend the vent if you want 20 feet by upsizing it an inch or so... the gas line needs to be schedule 40 steel, secured to the wall, last 20 inches or so can be flex.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

.

is-- =EF=BF=BD

the

longer exhaust line equals longer drying time even with upsized line, plus larger linew may accumulate more lint, requiring more frequent disassembly and cleaning.

so you will be using more energy, spending more money, and have a new job.

worse theres a max length for exhaust lines whats the current length?

Reply to
hallerb

You can also install a booster fan.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Bad post on my part! I meant the gas line. (The exhaust is getting cut by two thirds.)

Thanks!

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I think if you go to a real plumbing supply house, they will have flexible gas supply lines for what you want to do. It's not the same type of flimsy brass-colored ridged flexible gas line that you might have now for the last couple of feet that connects to the dryer. It's a bright yellow plastic-covered flexible gas supply line. When I had a new gas heater put in, that's what they used as the supply line and mine is about 15 feet long. A plumber recently told me that's pretty much all they use these days -- not lengths of rigid threaded pipe sections like I was always used to seeing for gas supply lines.

Reply to
alta47

No code I am aware of allows 20 feet of flex line, nor do I know of any manufacturer who makes one that long. You will need to extend the gas line in whatever kind of pipe it presently is or whatever kind is required for the area it is running thru. You will most likely need black iron pipe, especially if it runs thru an area where it might be damaged. Your local gas company has the best advice. Don't install it in any way that they do not approve of and you will be fine.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

The gas company even uses flexible gas lines underground for some installations. I remember seeing them use some sort of ditch-witch device that pulled flexible gas lines underground when they were running gas lines from building to building on a 5 acre site where I worked.

I just did a Google search for "flexible gas pipe" (without the quotes) and a lot of info comes up. The first item that came up when I did this search was

, and there were many more.

Reply to
alta47

Seems like the OP is 'shortening' the exhaust pipe??????

And; lengthening the gas supply pipe???????

So some of our comments based on the original posting from which you could assume anything, are inappropriate!

It's another case of "What you assumed I meant is not what I assumed you would understand from what I thought I had said"!

It's like some of those threads where someone posts an electrical problem and everybody willingly responds based on a North American voltage of 115 volts 60 hertz and single phase!

Then three postings later the OP says something along the lines of; "Oh, I happen to be Spain and the voltage is 230 volts 50 hertz and it's 3 phase"! (Delta or wye, by the way?). Struth!

Reply to
terry

ideinc...

thats cross linked polymer material, very heavy, tough and expensive..used because it wont corrode, crack or break ...and it bends...its a fast install..... but it has to be underground. Not suitable above ground because it melts in a fire.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

thats cross linked polymer material, very heavy, tough and expensive..used because it wont corrode, crack or break ...and it bends...its a fast install..... but it has to be underground. Not suitable above ground because it melts in a fire.

------------------------

Thanks. I guess that's what they used in the underground installation that I saw.

But, I have a 15-foot (+/-) bright yellow "plastic?" flexible gas supply line in the basement of a property I own. It was installed a few years ago when I had a new gas boiler/heater installed to replace the oil-fired boiler for the cast iron radiator heating system in the home. So, I know these exist, and I know they are code compliant. Some of the links I found when I did the Google search seemed to show the same type of bright yellow flexible gas supply lines for in-home use.

Reply to
alta47

I have one such line in the basement too. Professional installation is probably required (local plumbers in my case) due to the fittings at either end, I'm guessing. Made short work of extending the gas line 10 feet as it easily goes over & under things that are always in the way.

Reply to
Bob M.

So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST? I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender is called, I think...

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

i think the flexible line is only sold to professional plumbers, sorry

Reply to
hallerb

Where do they get it?

Reply to
Aaron Fude

At real supply houses. Big box just has a sample of common stuff and are more trouble than they are worth.

Reply to
George