Setting up Windows 7 for the first time

*Please* No Windows v Linux :-)

LENOVO ThinkPad T430 Intel® Core i5 2.60Ghz Processor (3320M) RAM 4GB, HDD 320GB

This is a new (to me) refurbished laptop with a clean install of W7 Pro

32 bit, without any service packs, updates etc. First job was ensure Windows firewall enabled. Next will be a partition for data.

However, when I first connect, it is going to download numerous service packs and updates, and possibly Windows 10?

Anything else I should do before the first connection?

Can I prevent W 10 being downloaded, or does it just happen?

Once up and running, and updated, I'll create restore discs and add Chrome and anti virus, Adblocker, Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Spybot.

Next, add my programs of choice.

Finally, ensure home networking is OK, and transfer data.

Anything I've overlooked?

Reply to
News

vvvvvv

But surely, if you have paid for it, you have paid for someone to answer all these questions!

Or even to install it!

My lips are sealed.......^^^^^^

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you've got the Windoze media and can rebuild to the current state then you're not taking much risk at this stage. Personally, I have setup many Windows clients and have never had a problem going to the Windows update site - so you should be OK with that. Don't be tempted into any other Googles until you have A-V in place though. If you look at Windows download options, you can decide on the action taken. Whether to just go ahead and install or, if you prefer, to download and await authorisation. I think you can block specific updates although I've never needed to.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

It will already have a (perhaps hidden) backup partition. Not sure you'll be able to add another one?

It won't download Win10 unless you ask it to. You can also set it not to download updates without asking first.

See above.

All I use here is AVG free and Spybot. Not had a problem in many years use. If you are happy ignoring AVG's pleas to upgrade.

Having just done pretty well the same, you might consider fitting an SSD. Makes a vast difference to the boot time and other things which access the HD. If you buy a USB drive caddy at the same time, you can clone your existing drive to the SSD then use the old as an external backup one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are certain tell-tale traits to windows 10 "updates" and all things evil that try to give windows 7 the same spying/prying capabilities. You just need to look up the specific update(s) that install the windows

10 nag icon. uninstall and when the update presents it's self again as an option just chose to "hide this update"

Other words to be aware of are anything that says stuff like "simplified the windows upgrade procedure" or mentions "telemetrics"

Once you're all patched up and have removed and hidden all traces of windows10 "updates" simply set windows to never check for updates.

Windows10 nag still manages to re-awaken it's self from time to time but for the moment my windows7 machines are currently nag free.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

But it will probably download the 5GB-ish of W10 files without you knowing.

I think the main updates not to allow are KB3035583 KB2976978 KB2952664 KB3021917,

which you can do by "hiding" them before allowing it to download any updates. I think its sensible to allow most security updates.

The machine I'm typing on had a fresh install with these precautions and has downloaded no large files. Other machines here have the tell-tale $WINDOWS.~BT and $windows.~WS with the 5gigs in.

It's a shame about Windows 10.

Reply to
Bill

I've downloaded all the updates for Win7. But I'd not say I've been nagged into downloading Win10 - or rather nothing like the way some other apps nag you to upgrade or whatever.

And I'm intending going to Win10 anyway probably next year after it's settled down a bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

3 days later downgrade back to 7. Microsoft won't let you upgrade back to 10 again....result! :-)
Reply to
Bod

News scribbled

You can download all the Win 7 updates from here

I have heard they stopped updating this site earlier this year, but the previous updates can still be grabbed.

Reply to
Jonno

MS are still supplying updates for Win7 - had several today. Usually a Tuesday here, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Before you first connect to the Internet:

Open Control Panel > Windows Update > Change Settings

Select "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."

Change any other settings on that page to suit.

Click "OK".

You'll need to re-visit the Windows Update page periodically (monthly?) to choose and install the updates you want.

Reply to
nemo

After a month I can't fault Win 10

Reply to
stuart noble

I quite like adding a HOSTS file (in any OS):

(In case you can't find the actual file)
Unzip it, right click on the batch file and 'Run as Administrator'.

I also like Avast! Free and SuperAntiSpyware.

I've upgraded quite a few of our machines (and those of others) to W10 and it seems ok?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Just do it, it works better than 7 ever did. At worst you may want to install classic start.

Reply to
dennis

Dave Plowman (News) scribbled

It can be slow as M$ checks a pc for what updates are required. Download the lot and get it done quicker.

Reply to
Jonno

T i m scribbled

Install Hostsman all but automate it

Jonno

Nice one, thanks. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It won't download 10 unless you ask for it. To ask for it you need it to install the GWX (Get Windows Ten) patch first which comes with the other updates.

It will start downloading patches to bring itself up to current state. If you want to suppress that then disable the BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)[1]

Not especially.

You can prevent it (at this stage). There are plenty of procedures out there for knobbling the download invitation as well.

[1] Open Task Manager, Click on service TAB Then click service button at the bottom Look for the ?Background Intelligent Transfer Service? Now right click on that choose properties See startup type, choose ?disabled?, Apply then OK.
Reply to
John Rumm

T i m scribbled

Be careful about using some of the other Hosts suppliers that are linked to Hostsman, one of them dumped about 120k websites on me - including sites that are not a problem.

Reply to
Jonno

I hate those excessive hosts files. They slow things down as well as block useful sites.

Which hosts providers in Hostman's Manage Update Sources are you using?

Reply to
pamela