Where to find replacement windows that aren't horrible UPVC?

We have a flat in North London (irrelevant where it is really) which has its original 1960s metal framed windows still. We've been meaning to replace them for years but have never managed to find what I would call suitable replacements. We have (a little) more money now so we're having another look at the problem.

So, where can one get replacement windows which have similarly 'lightweight/narrow' frames to what we have at present? There are two lots of windows, downstairs (it's a duplex flat) there's a french window with adjacent floor to ceiling glazine, upstairs there's tall windows with centrally pivoted opening sections and opaque safety glass at the bottom.

Ideally we'd like the replacemnts to look like the originals but anything with minimal/narrow glazing bars would be acceptable. Price is an issue, we don't want to spend tens of thousands.

Reply to
cl

Searching for "crittal replacement" should get you started.

Reply to
Andy Burns

White aluminium is the way to go

Reply to
stuart noble

I put all hardwood windows in my build, all out of Sapele ... allowed nice neat sections and arranged that non openers had same section as openers to make Bay window units all same etc.

Next door to me guy fitted vac-vac treated softwood windows ... again small section, but openers & non-openers then don't match (as with uPVC)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

How do you define "suitable"? If you're after efficient double glazing that will mean quite heavy frames, unless you go for wood (more expensive). If you don't want them to look like double glazing you could try for an ovolo profile, but that is more expensive again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You can make uPVC openers and non-openers match. Just ask for equal sight-lines. If they don't know what you are talking about go to another supplier. Everyone round here understood the term (not out term, btw). Equal sight-lines is another way of making uPVC not look like ordinary DG.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You're right, thank you very much, I'm off searching! :-)

Reply to
cl

+1
Reply to
Broadback

+2

Powder-coated thermal-break aluminium to be precise. These have much slimmer sections than uPVC, *and* are stronger.

They cost a bit more though!

Reply to
Roger Mills

See

One of my neighbours fitted new windows to his house as well as plastic soffits and a conservatory, he then sold the house to someone who demolished it.

Reply to
Michael Chare

+1. you can get them coated with whatever colour you want. We have had ours for seven years without a problem + no decorating.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan