Where to find replacement windows that aren't horrible UPVC?

We have a flat in North London (irrelevant where it is really) which has its original 1960s metal framed windows still. We've been meaning to replace them for years but have never managed to find what I would call suitable replacements. We have (a little) more money now so we're having another look at the problem.
So, where can one get replacement windows which have similarly 'lightweight/narrow' frames to what we have at present? There are two lots of windows, downstairs (it's a duplex flat) there's a french window with adjacent floor to ceiling glazine, upstairs there's tall windows with centrally pivoted opening sections and opaque safety glass at the bottom.
Ideally we'd like the replacemnts to look like the originals but anything with minimal/narrow glazing bars would be acceptable. Price is an issue, we don't want to spend tens of thousands.
--
Chris Green
·

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Searching for "crittal replacement" should get you started.

You're right, thank you very much, I'm off searching! :-)
--
Chris Green
·

On 08/02/2014 11:45, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

White aluminium is the way to go
On 08/02/2014 12:39, stuart noble wrote:

+1
On 08/02/2014 15:45, Broadback wrote:

+2
Powder-coated thermal-break aluminium to be precise. These have much slimmer sections than uPVC, *and* are stronger.
They cost a bit more though!
--
Cheers,
Roger
On Saturday, February 8, 2014 7:21:04 PM UTC, Roger Mills wrote:

+1. you can get them coated with whatever colour you want. We have had ours for seven years without a problem + no decorating.
Jonathan
On 08/02/2014 11:45, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

I put all hardwood windows in my build, all out of Sapele ... allowed nice neat sections and arranged that non openers had same section as openers to make Bay window units all same etc.
Next door to me guy fitted vac-vac treated softwood windows ... again small section, but openers & non-openers then don't match (as with uPVC)

You can make uPVC openers and non-openers match. Just ask for equal sight-lines. If they don't know what you are talking about go to another supplier. Everyone round here understood the term (not out term, btw). Equal sight-lines is another way of making uPVC not look like ordinary DG.
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores

How do you define "suitable"? If you're after efficient double glazing that will mean quite heavy frames, unless you go for wood (more expensive). If you don't want them to look like double glazing you could try for an ovolo profile, but that is more expensive again.
--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility
with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy
On 08/02/2014 11:45, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

See http://www.theheritagewindowcompany.co.uk/
One of my neighbours fitted new windows to his house as well as plastic soffits and a conservatory, he then sold the house to someone who demolished it.
--
Michael Chare