Replacement vs. New Windows on Brick Rowhouse

I need to replace 6 double hung and two awning windows on the front of a 1917 brick rowhouse. The current windows are wood single pane -- I don't know if they are original, but they are pretty old and drafty. I am looking to have this done for me since I don't have the time or the expertise to do it myself.

I was going to just do vinyl replacement windows -- The best quote that I have gotten is abour $2,900 with a lifetime warrenty from a reputable company (according to a local consumer magazine). However, I have been looking around these groups and seen some concerns about reduced glass area and cheap appearance (that might effect resale value).

How much more expensive might new windows be? Are they really significantly better looking and brighter? Will it really effect my resale value (I am in a neighborhood of Washington DC that is about to gentrify). Are there any special concerns with putting new windows on a brick house?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Yes, older buildings tend to go 'out of square' over time. Putting standard sized windows into an opening that's settled crooked becomes a challenge. The labor costs end up being as much, if not more, than just having gone with custom windows in the first place.

That and getting reliable contracting work in the metro area is a pain in the ass. Waaay too many 'day laborers' with no experience...

Reply to
wkearney99

Thanks for responding. I have a question....How does the issue of standard vs. custom relate to replacement vs. new?

The replacement windows that I am looking at are cut to fit into the existing frame. For new windows, the frame is removed and replaced. I assume these windows would be sized to match the opening -- is this correct?

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

It has been many years since I've been in the window business. Some policies may have change and will vary with different manufacturers.

We could by replacemnt windowns in any dimention in 1/2" intervals in width,

1" intervals in height.

New windows came in certain sizes common to new houses. They rarely fit any of the older houses that tended to have narrow adnt all windows. Odd sizes would be considered custom. They cost more and orders could not be cancelled.

Each has advantages and disadvantages. Replacements wre easiest to install, cheapest to buy, still gave good weatehr resistance. If time and money is not a big consideration, look at the "new" styles

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski