Sales Tax on Vinyl Replacement windows

Some companies told me that there is sales tax on the Vinyl replacement windows. But others told me that there isn't and the price should include everything. Which one is correct? I'm in Illinois.

Thanks!

Reply to
sking1918

Sales tax is a function of where you are, and where the retailer is, generally not the product being purchased*. If the retailer doesn't have a physical presence - like a warehouse or storefront - in the state where you live then you probably don't have to pay sales tax.

  • There are exceptions to this, like groceries and tobacco items, but I can't imagine hardware being one of them.

- Wm

Reply to
William Morris

Is there any sales tax on the Vinyl replacement windows? Some companies told me that there is one. But others say no and the price for the windows should be everything. For example, if the price for 10 windows is $4k, it's 4k not 4k + sales tax. Which one is right?

Thanks!

Reply to
sking1918

If this isn't a troll, I suggest you call the tax people in your state and ask them. Sales tax laws vary all over the place and here where I am in Taxachusetts we have some pretty wild ones.

For example, donuts or other "baked goods" at a Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme type shop are taxed when bought a few at a time, but if you buy ten or more "similar items" at once, there's no tax due. They're being sold at the same counter and by the same employees, so go figger. All that's different is the quantity. What they are collecting is technically called a "meals tax", but it's at the same 5% rate as the sales tax on other goods.

I could go on, but won't....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

It would depend on the Country and or local subdivision. In the US there are 50 different states plus DC. Each has its own laws. Check with your local sales tax office. They won't bite, at least when I worked for a State tax department we did not. :-)

There may be some question about who may pay the tax if there is one. For example it may be different if you buy the windows for the contractor and then the contractor puts them up, or if you pay for the finished product. Simple questions like this can get complex.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

wrote

On top of the other replies, here is another example of why some charge sales tax, and some do not.

When buying wholesale, I can purchase tax exempt. I give them my tax ID #, and charge the sales tax to the end user. If I'm going to purchase for my own business, I do not claim exemption because I am the end user.

Some contractors use their SS# for ID, and go ahead and pay the sales tax. This is usually done by smaller outfits. They usually roll the sales tax into the job and do not collect separately.

In my State, you must have a Vendors # in order to collect sales tax.

Reply to
Fat Al

It's simple.

First, you are not facing a SALES tax: it's a SALES and USE tax.

If the vendor has a physical presence in your state, he collects the tax and remits the money to the state comptroller.

If the vendor does NOT have a presence in your state, YOU are responsible for sending the appropriate tax amount to your state treasury.

Reply to
JerryMouse

When we were in NY, we had a new water heater installed by HD (well, actually by one of their contractors). There was no sales tax on the heater or the labor, but we had to sign a form to be sent to some govt. body or other. Perhaps that would then affect the valuation of the property at some point.

Perhaps some states deal with all property repairs/improvements that way?

MB

On 08/18/04 06:13 pm snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Some places add the sales tax to the price quoted.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Realistically, very few people pay the USE tax. I'm in Tennessee, 9.5% sales tax and my competition is the Internet with effectively zero percent sales tax or Kentucky with 6%. If I don't discount enough to come in below those prices, I lose the sale.

Bob

Reply to
rck

Why not check here ?