New Construction vs Replacement Windows?

I have a contractor who has offered to install replacement windows, but in a way I am not familiar with. He is proposing to remove the brick molding and interior molding and cut through the existing nail flange with a sawzall. The replacement window will then be installed with screws through the sides in the rough window opening, not the window frame like a normal replacement window. Is this a good idea? Should I tell him we want new constuction windows without the nailing fin instead of a replacement window? Can you put a new construction window with the frame in without messing with the siding? Thanks for any help! I am so confused by the numerous contractors I have talked too, one says replacement bad, use new, another says use sash replacements. tex

Reply to
Jeremy Robbins

I had the same problem. In my old home i wanted to get rid of the windows as they were paper thin. I was afraid of new construction windows as there would be inside plaster damage and damage to the mouldings (120+ year old and can't match). What i got and assume your are talking about is an insert. i did 1 test window in my bathroom. It worked out perfectly, is sound and did not reduce the size of my window - a hell of a lot cheaper too. only concern in the age of the home is that there is 0 insulation around the windows as the moulding was not removed. What I will now do for the remaining 30 windows is work along with the installer boring holes in the frames and laying in foam. By the way - the outside of the home was not touched in the process.

Reply to
Fogbank

"Jeremy Robbins" wrote

I'm a bit perplexed by your description of how the existing windows are installed. Usually a window with brick mold is installed by fastening through the brick mold. They do not have a flange as I know the flange type. Windows with a flange, usually do not have brick mold. I've never seen windows with both, doesn't mean they don't exist but you wouldn't need the flange if you have brick mold.

Reply to
Johnston

You could totally be right, I just assumed that all windows had some sort of molding around them and I was calling it brick molding. I really need to take one apart and look at it. Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Jeremy Robbins