Installing windows, new construction

I am hearing different opinions about how to install new vinyl windows. Some say to wrap the wrap the house wrap in through the rough opening and then to nail window flange to house wrap and then to tape flange and others are saying to nail flange to wood sheathing and then to house wrap over flange and tape and others are talking about using a sticky flashing membrane similar to eave shield. Could someone tell me which is best. Also what about insulation, stuffed in fiberglass vs. spray in foam? What about using shims, are they needed when nailing flange? Thanks

Reply to
habbi

Depends on what kind of house wrap you are using. If you are using Tyvek or something similar, then the method to wrap around the frame. If you need shims, they can go on the outside of the wrap. If you are using a radiant barrier type wrap, I can see where it might be recommended to wrap and go over the flange and seal with tape. Ask the supplier where you bought the a. Windows b. House wrap. Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Yes.

Yes.

Exactly. And tape over the flange bottom horizontal first, then the 2 vertical sides overlapping the bottom, and then the horizontal top, overlapping the 2 sides.

If you go this route, what is the tape going to stick to besides the house wrap? The purpose of the tape is to form a bond between the housewrap and the window flange.

That's the flashing tape.

If you use fiberglass, you don't "stuff" it in, it should not be compressed because it's the "fluffiness" that provides the insulation, not the material itself.

If you use foam, get the kind specifically for doors and windows, which doesn't expand as much as the normal stuff. And get that foam straw all the way back to the flange and foam up a bead between the window and frame back near the flange, all around the window first. The stuff grows, quickly at first but then continues for another 24 hours... slowly, like those 4th of July "snakes."

Shims shouldn't be needed for nailing flanges unless the wall is way out of plumb. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

Visit Pella site and download their directions. I believe it is housewrap opening then their special Pella tape available at Lowes to tape flange to wrap. Even though the instructions don't mention it, a Pella service tech, one with a decade of experience, still recommends silicone under the flange before mounting it in the window. So it is sheathing, wrap, silicone, flange, tape. And the tape is first applied to the bottom, then the 2 sides and then the top.

Reply to
Art

Come to think of it we are going to strap the house before putting up the siding. The windows are going to have to be installed over a strapping (1" X

4") border. How should the window, typar etc... all be installed in this case? Thanks
Reply to
habbi