installing new windows over strapped sheathing?

What is the proper method of installing new vinyl windows over sheathing which has been strapped due to the requirement of the siding manufacturer? The sheathing is already housewrapped and the strapping is outside the housewrap. Each window opening has strapping all around it. Where should the caulking be and should more strips of housewrap be cut and taped over the windows nailing flange and strapping? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
habbi

On 12/7/2004 4:40 PM US(ET), habbi took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I don't know if it code or not, but any waterproof fabric over the strapping can only add to prevent water from entering the windows's rough opening. When my house was built back in 1984, the builder used roofing felt as the house wrap. The felt was wrapped into door and window rough openings. After the vinyl windows were installed, strips of felt were stapled over the strapping. Starting at the bottom, a piece across the bottom strapping, then pieces down the side overlapping the strapping and bottom piece of felt, and finally, a strip across the top overlapping the strapping and top ends of the side felt pieces.

Reply to
willshak

I don't know what strapping is or how it was done.

As for sealing your windows check out a product called protectowrap. Use it instead of house wrap caulk or tin. Almost all the better builders are using it in new construction around here.

You can buy it at most Home Depots or read about it here;

I find a j-roller aids in installation but isn't really necessary.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt